Sign in to follow this  
tropicalrips

improving Creek OBH-11 SE

hi guys

i hav seen quite a few threads able the Creek 11se headphone amp. most feel that this is not a good amp due to the parts used, so i hav decided to mod/upgrade it.

i hav already taken it apart to see whats inside,there are 2 large caps which i suspect is for the power side. but these 2 caps which are close together hav different values i know 1 of them is 35v 1000uf but the other is smaller, can't really see its value cause its blocked, but the markings on the board shows a circle for larger caps, the one on the board looks like 35v 470uF

it does not use op-amps, but has 4 chips (3 pin) which hav heat-sinks attached to them, i think they should be the sinal amplifier chips

theres also 4 plastic thingy that look like tube-amps, but they are very small, no idea what they are... wacko.gif

volume pot is alps 20k, all the caps are "Sanwa"

anyone hav ideas which parts can/must be upgraded? happy.gif

pics to follow soon

Those plastic tube things are polystyrol capacitors. They are not tubes! Your OBH11SE is the same version as Ting's and not the same vesrion as my former unit. As such I can't really help you further. This newer version of the OBH11SE unfortunately uses even cheaper parts then the slightly older version (except for the Alps Blue volume pot). Ask firefox if he has the time to mod it for you. Frankly, IMO they are not worth modding. If they worth it I would have done so to my former unit.

Edited by Rameish

There are several possible mods. Mainly involving replacing the capacitors in the signal path. However, I'd not recommend spending the money as the amp is, seriously, not worth it. Especially if you've just bought it at the new slashed-price.

i think i will change the capacitors first to see how they sound, i'll start with the four largest ones

I tried adding 15 x 1uF wima poly caps at all the power caps of the Marantz 7300. Found it reduces a lot of harshness.

PM me if you interest in the poly cap.... tongue.gif

Edited by jasonhanjk

Yellow one cost 70 cents each. More X than this one 'cos buy in small quantity.

Attach picture:

Can borrow you 10 piece to try out first.... lol.gif

post-2-1070884197.jpg

There isn't enough space under the board to bypass the supply caps. Unless you intend to drill the board and wire from beneath. The Creek, I feel, wouldn't benefit noticably from the bypassing anyway.

Firefox maybe is right but at least you try to mod the creek. If it does not goes better, sell it off at The classified.

I plan to sell you 10 of this cap for $2.00, dunno whether is it to expensive.... innocent.gif

edit: The width is 5mm.

Edited by jasonhanjk