aaron-xp

UM1 - Frayed ends

user posted image

This appeared on my relatively new UM1 (about 2 weeks old).

What should I do? Will it eventually affect it performance? Tape it? Ignore it? Or send it back? Still under 1 year warranty though.

EDIT: Bigger picture

Edited by aaron-xp

WOW!

how did you abuse them?

my UM2 has been with me for months and yet there's no sign of tear

anyway, try return if they wanna accept. usually, wear and tear is not covered under warranty

Edited by squalle

Did practically nothing. Put them in the case when they are not used, etc. Used them with the Deuter rucksack though. The headphone "opening" is on the top of the bag.

Edited by aaron-xp

DO NOT IGNORE IT! Send them back.. Get Westone (?) to service the phones at least...

Quite an obvious design flaw... mad.gif

Good luck!

It looks like a piece of un-cut plastic or what? If its frayed ends, Westone will replace them. Contact them for help. Where you bought them? Stereo?

On my UM1, there is also some defects similar to this but its just un-cut plastic. I just ignore it. Its also on the plug end. On my UM2, its perfect. They're similar to Grados i guess. Finish is not machined perfect.

Ya, got them from Stereo. So what do I do now? unsure.gif

Are the wires exposed at the frayed ends? If it the cables are not expose, i think there is not need to worry. Just a manufacturing defect. Just like my Grado and Alessandros. Got dinks and scratches on plastic.

You can try asking Stereo for advise on this before email Westone.

Will PM him. Thanks. May need you guys' help later. But thanks. happy.gif

Wire not exposed, yet.

Edited by aaron-xp

Will PM him. Thanks. May need you guys' help later. But thanks. happy.gif

Wire not exposed, yet.

Does the cable look intact? Any tears on the cable or its just extra plastic sticking out of the plug? If you exmine the plug, it can be not perfectly finish too. wink.gif On one of my ear pieces, there is also a little clear plastic sticking out.

Cable is intact. On second thought, it may just be an uncut plastic. there are 2 wires braided together, so this third plastic piece may be just an extra unfinished piece of plastic. Just hope so though. Will wait for Stereo's reply.

Will let the UM1 "rest" tomorrow. Won't use it for commuting. Won't use it on the train.

Edited by aaron-xp

Really, i expect many Westone to be like that. Maybe its just a quirk about Westone. On my recabled UM2, the cables got more white markings than usual. Dun worry, they are quite rugged. Got any problem, Westone will fix free if its covered under warranty. But not wear and tear hor.

It goes the same for Shure and Ety as well. Their customer service also very good.

On third thought, if it were an uncut piece of plastic, why didn't I notice it earlier? Doesn't seem to appear on earlier pics. Anyway, these phones are the very ones on the Westone wikipedia page!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/westone

Because its so tiny and maybe you panicked. Did you exmine the ear pieces as well? Mine got a little piece of un-cut clear plastic too. You should take extra care of the filters instead cos its not user replaceable. Try to keep them in a dry environment when not in use. If it got wet, dry it using some silicon gel by putting them together in the case. Those camera type can.

You did the wikipedia page? It seem like it have the important info already?