aaron-xp

IEM earpiece tips

What do you guys think of the tri-flanges as compared to the comply foams/clear flex?

Sound isolation?

Comfort?

Convinience?

Durability?

Sound?

Thanks biggrin.gif

Depending on fit, it might isolate more, but the comfort levels of tri-flange tips is the next thing closest to having somethng really hard, hot and irritating IMO (from using the Shure and westone Triflange modded to Biflange)

It also takes a while for me to fit the modded triflange, and unlike the complys, the fit will not be always perfect.

Also, unless you have a straight ear-canal, the triflange is not going to fit.

Durability wise, it should last a while, the material is rather solid, but depending on situation and usage, it might turn yellow very fast (oxidation?).

Comparing the clear flex (from Shure) howeve, to my ears, the clear flex sleeves are reeeeallly hard, attributed to their material and thickness I guess, and they're kinda 'suffocating' for the ear canal, heats up quite fast, and unless your ear canal is as round as the clear flex itself, fit might be a problem as the clear flex can either force your ear canal into a round shape, or not fit at all (which is a pity as I found the clear flex to be the coolest looking sleeve of the lot).

For my ears however I can get a fitting that gives me more or less an equivalent amount of bass for all the ear tips (clear sleeve, grey soft flex, triflange mod, yellow foamies) for my E4g, but when trying the UM2, I prefer the modded triflange over the Comply tips as the Complys kinda muffles the treble for the UM2.

USing a UM1, with short/long comply tips and shure clear flex.

Like the clear flex a lot, easy to put on, not too uncomfortable, but the isolation is still not as good as the foams.

So do you recommend me to get the tri-flange?

Ey, no harm trying I guess, I don't know how your ear canal is shaped.

Its a hit and miss situation for some people, or you can be like me and mod your UM1 to fit the UE SuperFi Biflange smile.gif

USing a UM1, with short/long comply tips and shure clear flex.

Like the clear flex a lot, easy to put on, not too uncomfortable, but the isolation is still not as good as the foams.

So do you recommend me to get the tri-flange?

Try a biflange or Shure soft flex. Those grey ones.

oh, biflange as in triflange minus either the first or the last "flange", right? Actually chose the clear flex over the soft flex for better isolation.

Edited by aaron-xp

oh, biflange as in triflange minus either the first or the last "flange", right? Actually chose the clear flex over the soft flex for better isolation.

Yes, normally, its minus the top/1st flange. In my case, the grey flex provides more isolation than the clear ones.

i just bought a um1 from SE

and aron metioned that comply tips last around 3 to 4 weeks

i bought an extra grey soft flex sleeve

it's easy to put on but when used for prolonged periods... ears might get a little sore

as for the comply tips, it really feels comfortable

just wanna ask all comply tips users

how long do your tips last and will it actually "can't expand well" after long usage?

how do you guys maintain it? (other than keeping your ears clean :P )