ablaze

New acquisition

got it from El Scorcho. real nice guy, great to talk to, and obliging enough to meet me halfway though he lives in Simei and I live in Jurong. thumbs up for service yes.gif

anyway, decided to get a "cheapish" pair of cans to tide my time till my Sony CD3000s returns, and for future "guinea pig" purposes. what better a "spare can" than the $80+ Philips HP890 right. 50mm drivers, full-sized cans, velvety comfort (oh the cups are HUGE! i think even bigger than my already big CD3000s!) and of course..a headphone stand! happy.gif

first impressions, not bad, but a lil "veiled". and I have to concur with what Rameish said before.."sennheiser-like" rolleyes.gif but the great thing about $80+ cans - I don't expect too much, so I'm overall quite pleased.

in the pipelines - foam removal and cable upgrade. if it'll tweak the HD600s to my liking, I think they'll work too for the HP890s! laugh.gif well we'll see..hehe

ps. Thanks El Scorcho!

I took K501 over it years ago, although it has a bigger and deeper bass, but compare to 501, they failed to draw me into the music, there is something missing, maybe rythem? But for the price, it's quite OK, I like the idea of headphone stand, AT should make a stand for their W series sleep.gif

yeah. a headphone stand is great, and although cheap looking, the HP890 is very functional! smile.gif

don't see why the other manufacturers can't follow suit, especially since their headphones cost up to (and some more) 10X more! ohmy.gif

I'm thinking of how I can go about removing this "veil"..am THIS close to unsewing the foam pads on the inside biggrin.gif

update: I'm pretty happy with my purchase so far. smile.gif

I can't decide which makes me happier..

1. buying a relatively cheap item, and finding that man, this is such good value-for-money!

2. or buying expensive stuff and knowing you have one of the very best of whatever you bought, albeit at a pretty hefty cost

rolleyes.gif

Try getting used to the sound first by listening to it exclusively for about a week then go back to your CD3000 (oops, are they still at the shop right now?). Enjoy the music & don't think too much about it!

What does the headphone stand look like?

Please don't go around mucking with the internals and end up damaging another headphone! Hehehe. Enjoy it first before dismantling the whole thing. Or else it might last a few hours only. The philips are not exactly well made as I read so take care when taking it apart.

fyi, I did nothing but take the utmost care of my sony CD3K! what happened was out of my control, and nothing I did. I resent the implication that I damaged my own cans from mishandling. anyway, I take it you were joking, so I'll let it go. dry.gif

N@Z, yeah think I"ll do that. its a different sound..but not bad at all. guess its good to have different sounding cans for different occasions yes.gif

about the stand, I found a pic for you smile.gif

user posted image

Thanks ablaze! Wow, you did get a good bargain. They look quite nice indeed.

I think I'd gladly pay $20 for the stand alone hehe laugh.gif

How much are the HP890s over where you are N@Z, out of curiosity?

As with most upscale headphones & most other audiophile related equipment... we hardly get any, not even the cheaper value for money cans. So I can't answer your question as I have not seen them here at all.

ah..thats a shame.

well there's always meier-audio (and now auralfocus wink.gif) if you're ever interested holiday.gif

I'm biting the bullet already, not going to go crazy on headphones for a little while, while my wallet recovers from severe injury. I need to get a bluetooth enable mobile phone & earpiece. Plus I am waiting on Rameish's recently acquired Sony headphones from bulkie. Said he was going to sell off one of them (he has 2 now to compare the sock mod) once he has compared which one he prefers. If that falls through then I might consider a new pair of Sony Eggos. Then there's my META still with KurtW having it near MAXED OUT. Did I just said I was biting the bullet?! rolleyes.gif