Sign in to follow this  
Deinel

Hunt for PCDP

Hi guys. Been years since i last posted here although I'm not much of a poster to start with. And its kinda quiet here now so hope there's people reading this.

Anyway, few weeks ago i managed to revive my six-year-old Sony D-NE900 with a new gumstick battery and wow...I'm back to my first love and my Cowon D2 has been neglected since. So i started revisiting sites like here and head-fi to read up on PCDPs again to see what are the others that are good. I also kept a lookout in stores and trawl the net to see if anybody is still selling them. The best i got so far was when i passed by a shop near the market beside Queensway Shopping Centre and saw that they still have two of the D-NE900. I was so tempted because i would not know when mine would die out but i refrained cos i was looking for one which i had not owned but wished i had. And since not much people buy them now, i believe shops would give good discounts. Oh, i manage to snag a Panasonic SL-CT810 in CashConverter for just $25 and the condition's still great!

But the problem is here. The one's I'm looking for are actually the D-EJ2000, D-NE10, D-NE20 and D-NE920. Yes i would love to own them all! So would anybody have the luck to sight them in any friendly neighbourhood electrical store? I would greatly appreciate any sightings. So far i tried Sim Lim, AMK and Mustafa but to no avail (the best i found was NW-HD5 but i dont wanna rely on SonicStage). Or if you have them and found no use for them anymore. Would you mind selling me yours? hehe.

Hi Audio Hub. Thanks for the reply and suggestion! But somehow i believe somewhere in Singapore there are still stock for them, just not in big known stores. Not for the D-EJ2000 tho cos thats a really old model. And if i get to find them, they are still brand new! haha.

Ebay wise, i've never bought anything from there and i do not have a paypal account. Moreover, most are in 2nd hand condition which i cant get to inspect personally but the discman you provided there really do have a cheap price. Might consider going for it haha.

hi, sorry to interrupt your cd player hunt, but could you be so kind as to let me know where you managed to buy new gumstick batteries?

hi deniel,

been looking for discmans of the past too. discmans of the past seem to have better sound quality. of course, particular models only..

it's a pity that the few discmans manufacturers have stopped producing good quality discmans.

it will be good if they produce a few good quality discmans now. but yeah most probably, that will not happen since emphasis is strongly on MP3 players!

miss those days whereby a newly purchased CD can be listened immediately just by using a discman!

and i do like the alkaline batteries method. when they die, no fuss, just purchase a fresh pack and slot them in and the discman is good to go.

sigh.

hi, sorry to interrupt your cd player hunt, but could you be so kind as to let me know where you managed to buy new gumstick batteries?

The batteries i bought were from Unicell at SLS. Its on the 2nd floor. Heres the link for the exact add: http://www.unicell.com.sg/mainsite/index.p...ntactUs&size=12 I guess they make their own batteries and thankfully for them, i could fire up my D-NE900 again! Oh the batteries are purple in colour and costs $8.00 per stick. But one thing to note, maybe its just me though, from my memory i guess the original Sony ones lasts longer. Nevertheless its still work perfectly and im definitely going to buy more.

it's a pity that the few discmans manufacturers have stopped producing good quality discmans.

it will be good if they produce a few good quality discmans now. but yeah most probably, that will not happen since emphasis is strongly on MP3 players!

Actually im not in a position to say which generation of PCDP sounds better because im always financially handicapped during my younger days and the only discman i owned would be my D-NE900. But thats also the reason why im in for this hunt ever since i read all the good things about the past. Till now, im very satisfied with my discman. Its built like a tank very solid. Sound is good too. Chose this over the D-NE10 as it has on-screen display. I could go on and on but yeah they dont make discman now, much alone a good one. The only discmans in Sony store now looks plasticky.

You can try looking around SLT or mustafa maybe they'll carry for export and to poorer developing country.

I know 2nd floor SLS has some shops selling PCDP.

Yeah i tried Mustafa 2 weeks ago and no luck. No discman at all in both buildings. SLS i guess i tried but dont have what i want. BUt will go down and sweep again in case i left any treasures out. Will definitely post any findings!

The batteries i bought were from Unicell at SLS. Its on the 2nd floor. Heres the link for the exact add: http://www.unicell.com.sg/mainsite/index.p...ntactUs&size=12 I guess they make their own batteries and thankfully for them, i could fire up my D-NE900 again! Oh the batteries are purple in colour and costs $8.00 per stick. But one thing to note, maybe its just me though, from my memory i guess the original Sony ones lasts longer. Nevertheless its still work perfectly and im definitely going to buy more.

thanks very much for this. maybe i can take my md players out of the house soon. :) i have to use them plugged into the power outlet because the NiMH batteries kaput a long time ago.

on the topic of portable cd players, my really ancient panasonic one sounds amazingly good right out of the headphone out. and it runs on AA batteries too! i picked up an old sony one from cash converters a year ago and that one died really fast and didn't sound as good to my ears.

Oh man. I'm so tempted to sell my MD unit now, MZ-RH910, which i bought in impulse several years ago, but guess would not fetch much, so might as well just keep a piece of history.

Anyway i just got a new toy from cash converter today too, the Sony D-465. Sound wise against my D-NE900 i dont really know how to describe and dont think there's too much difference but i like the sound better than the Panasonic. But then again, im just using a E888 earphones, still deciding what cans to buy after my SR60 died.

Bit of a longshot but apparently the *other* mustafa in serangoon plaza tends to have older stock than the 'main' Mustafa center/plaza stores - so it might be worth giving that place a poke.

Have you tried places like Shaw Towers Jade Gift Shop, along Jalan bukit merah blk 2 I think just behind the bus stop with the Panasonic shade, Woodlans Domestic @ clmenti (near ginza) or just have to walk a lot!

Oh man. I'm so tempted to sell my MD unit now, MZ-RH910, which i bought in impulse several years ago, but guess would not fetch much, so might as well just keep a piece of history.

if you're not averse to shipping overseas, you might be able to find someone interested over at the Audio T-Board.

Anyway i just got a new toy from cash converter today too, the Sony D-465. Sound wise against my D-NE900 i dont really know how to describe and dont think there's too much difference but i like the sound better than the Panasonic. But then again, im just using a E888 earphones, still deciding what cans to buy after my SR60 died.
my audio-technica AD900 and panasonic portable cd player is like a match in heaven. makes music come alive for me. my IEMs just died in one ear, need to get a pair for commuting. can't decide between earphones and IEMs ...

Hi Faileas and stargazer. Thanks for the recommendations! Will definitely go down this weekend for a look!

if you're not averse to shipping overseas, you might be able to find someone interested over at the Audio T-Board.

Hmmm, i guess i would just keep it and treat it as a display? So that many years down the road i can take it out and surprise myself again haha. Whats mroe, i rarely bought stuff online from overseas, let alone selling them so i dont know what are the hassles like.