ablaze

Ultrasone HIFI-650

thought you might guys may find this post by the venerable Jan Meier

Dear Headfellows,

A few weeks ago I got a call from Mr Wilberg, the general-manager of Ultrasone. During our conversation he talked very enthusiastically about a new version of their closed headphone, the HFI-650 DVD Edition. As I'm quite a fan of the regular HFI-650 (Trackmaster) you might imagine that I got quite curious to hear this new model. Mr. Wilberg promised me a test copy.

The test copy arrived last Wednesday. After a decent break-in of approximately 72 hours I decided to compare both HFI-650 versions.

Build:

Both headphones look very similar. The main difference is the colour. Whereas the regular HFI-650 Trackmaster has a silverish colour, the DVD-edition is more golden.

Another difference is the headphone plug. The Trackmaster version comes with a 3.5mm plug and an integrated 3.5 mm to 6.5 mm adapter. The DVD-version has a 6.5 mm plug and a separate 6.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter. Cables feel very similar though.

A nice surprise is the extension cord that comes with the DVD-version. It is of a very decent quality and has gold-plated plug and jack!

Comfort:

Both headphones have the same (rather high) weight, the same left-sided cable, and the same (warm!) ear pads. Therefore there are no differences in comfort.

Sound:

The HFI-650 Trackmaster has been originally designed for professional use. Sound has a very even balance and the phone shows little coloration (for a closed headphone). At higher volumes a slight touch of aggressiveness appears. I personally like this phone and feel that it's a true bargain in its price-class.

As already indicated by Mr. Wilberg, the DVD-edition puts more emphasize on the lower frequencies. Sound is more comfortable/luxurious with less tendency to aggression. The price that is to be paid is found in less detail. The HFI-650 Trackmaster presents the attack of guitar strings with more precision and room acoustics is heard for more ease.

I feel the classification of Ultrasone to be to the point. The Trackmaster is best suited for people who like to hear every detail of a recording. The DVD-version makes more immediate impact with deep bass and slightly less pronounced highs. Both are fun in their own way. Highly recommended.

Cheers,

Jan

A very nice & straight forward review from Jan as always. Now all we need is someone who owns one to post their personal views.

yeap... the personal opinion is more or less more 'trustworthy' to me, compared to like dealer review..

preferably those who don't use too much adjectives.. hehhee... later make me think of food

with all the : sweet, smooth,thick

like chocolate laugh.gif