Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Beyerdynamic DT250 (250ohm)

user posted image

Photo courtesy of Starch

Introduction

I got this used from Head-Fi. It arrived a couple of days ago. I've used it on my TV/sattelite decoder, main rig (mainly) & portable rig.

CDs used

1. Jazz at the Pawn Shop

2. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

3. Diana Krall - The look of love

4. Blur - 13

Note:

The following brief impression is based on the equipment listed in my profile.

Build quality

Beyerdynamic headphones are synonimous with quality. The DT250 is no exception, it is well made & seems robust. However I was a little surprised to see the amount of plastic used in the construction. The design is closest to the Sony MDR-7506 & the Sony has more metal & looks even more robust. It doesn't fold or swivel like the Sony. The cable is typical of the Beyer line with it's curly cables which I'm beginning to get used to. The only bit of distraction is the larger than necessary plug that joins the cable to the left driver. It looks like a nasty afterthought but I suppose it will make it easier to replace should the need arises. Come to think of it, making it possible for DIY cable mods!

Comfort & isloation

Due to the rather narrow design of the driver's internal opening, my ear's just have enough horizontal room. If I don't put them on properly it might pinch my earlobes making them ache for listening sessions longer than +1 hour. Isolation seems the same if not alot better than the 7506 when music is playing. Sound leakage is about the same too & seems fairly good unless the music is above moderately loud.

Sound quality

Lets not beat about the bush, these phones have a suprisingly 'open' sound for a pair of closed headphones compared with it's counterparts. Think of it like the Sony MDR-D66SL Eggos. It's no where near as airy as the DT880 or deep as the CD3K but to me it is noticeable enough compared with the DT770 pro & 7506. On certain recordings it has a slight 'reverby' sound especially for instruments in the far back on live acoustic sets. I was also surprised with the amount of midrange detail (forward?) and warmth. I don't feel that these are dark or recessed sounding headphones at all compared with the Senn HD600. The bass is not as deep as the 7506 but it has more extension. Not as good as the DT880 though which incidently sounds leaner or should that be cleaner? Anyway, basslines are very easy to follow. They are akin to the direct sound of the Etymotic ER4S but with more bass & less dryness.

Conclusion

I really like the sound of this DT250. I find it quite balanced for my taste. It doesn't quite have the midrange magic of the K501 but it's the closest so far. In a nutshell I can describe them like the 7506 but better balanced, more midrange, less bass & fairly contolled highs. That's not to say the 7506 are not good, the DT250 is just better. They're not as accomplished as the DT880 but the sound is at the point where it satisfies all my needs where the 7506 just didn't quite make it & the eggos failed regardless of it's impressive airy sound.

good review Naz!

I agree that the midrange on this baby is superb ! happy.gif

sipher: let me try and answer this one:

It's great for rock, alternative and that sort of music!!

the bass is tight, deep and very well controlled.

I remembered I enjoyed my 'the brilliant green' very much out of it tongue.gif

Thanks for the kind words. For the asking price (new) it should be good.

I'll need to try it out with my POD & Rage Against the Machine CDs tomorrow Sipher. I didn't get a chance tonight as my son wanted some quality time! But as Blues mentioned I think it will certainly 'rock'. But just in case we have different definitions for rock, what sort of rock music do you listen to? Did the Pink Floyd (hybrid SACD) CD qualify?

N@Z,

thanx for trying smile.gif

POD is nice. well, my kind of rock is anything from bon jovi, aerosmith to marilyn manson, linkin park.

so i guess the 2 CDs that u mentioned is alright.

i'm kinda looking for a pair of cans that is abit more forward than the 880 but not to the extent of grado.

hmmm...maybe i will try sr 225 in the future. hehe

sipher: sony mdr-cd3000

forward but not as forward as grados. It's somewhere in between dt880 and grados, if I were to put it

I can't wait to pit the 150 against 250 and hear for myself what the differences are. Very reassuring review for one who's yearning to try the 250, Naz. Kudos!

Edited by Mackie

Thanks for the compliment, please feel free to chime in when yours arrive as you will be able to give a more detailed assessment.

I'd expect, based on Rameish's description, the DT150 should be more neutral/dryer sounding.

This means a more precise analysis of my source/amp could be achieved with DT150. We shall see. From pictures, DT150 looks fugly but more sturdy relative to DT250 which I feel should have greater appeal aesthetically.

Edited by Mackie

I'm old fashioned I think as I rather like it's looks based on the photos. Maybe that will change as I thought the DT250 looked fairly ok in the photos too until I saw it in the flesh.

Give the aluminium and plastic parts a polish and they shall look good nonetheless. Lots of potential for such on DT150.

i had a pair of these too.. i found it pretty ordinary, like it sounds good, but it's just polite. sort of like the hd600 i guess. nothing really stands out.. i dunno really how to explain it.

the sony 7506 has vocals highly positioned and bass

the dt770 has recessed vocals

the ultrasone 650 is good but i think the seperation of the music is a bit much..

rage will never sound good with the dt250 compared to the grado. don't insult rage by putting it next to POD, that is TRL tenny rock just like linkin park. put some tool in it too.

i don't think hard rock is pink floyd - dsotm, not even sure if it rock music too...

also btw i did not hear alot of difference, if any with a corda ha-1 and no amp with the beyer. so i don't think an amp does much difference with the 250-250.