Sign in to follow this  
lekguan

Looking for this CD

cds older better? hm it depends...

It's not always true. It all depends on the recording, the sound engineer etc.

Thus I said generally. Well, anyway, face the truth. "Numb" will numb your senses. Welcome to the super-clipped wave analysis of the track. I ripped as wave, no editing. Just the wave analysis. An overview.

post-2-1065542854.jpg

Well, look at the amount of clipping. At maximum zoom, max sized wave, this is what you get: clips after clips.

post-2-1065542964.jpg

More clips of another part of the song. Ever wondered why it sounded so compressed, messy and hypnotic? Why the instruments have no punch (When there should be a suddent boom, it sounds just as loud as the instruments)? Why 2 loud instruments can be of the same volume(the louder one is clipped)? Well, here's your answer! You have numbed your own feelings. hammer.gif

post-2-1065543047.jpg

Edited by lekguan

Sorry, can zoom in even more. Now here is a part where it is not loud enough when it is supposed to be.

post-2-1065543671.jpg

Edited by lekguan

Last one. The squared (clipped) crests and troughs of the wave.

Anyway, back to topic, please tell me if you know where to find the album.

post-2-1065543839.jpg

Edited by lekguan

well at least I couldn't hear the clipping out of my harmon kardon speaker(lappy) whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Nope, its not hearing the clipping. It affects the punch and the dynamics of the CD. It sound more compressed and seriously, hypnotic to me. Where there should be a sudden boom, there is, but with insufficient volume. It is especially clear in most of the latest rock albums

On your cans you should be able to hear a huge difference. But these things are stuff that you won't notice, until you hear something good. When you listen to a CD with good dynamics, you will find out what you have been missing, and you will never go back to such CDs. Its like what Duncan said in his discman reviews. He said, you wouldn't know what you have been missing until you really hear a good one. Meaning, unless you listened to the old PCDPs, you would not find that you have been missing on a good head out from the PCDP. Likewise for CDs.

Edited by lekguan

Hm.. I don't know lah coz I don't own any linkin park cds. But I guess it might be true. I have a lot of clipped cds too dry.gif ..

What you need to do now is to go and buy those xrcd , jap press cds(in general) or some chesky demo discs

You will be bowled over. Trust me. The compilation cd that you have may be nothing compared to them! tongue.gif

OT: btw, Idon't think anyone here has that cd hence the lack of reply and turning of this thread into OT ground!

My advice, go source for them in the aforementioned places, also u might wanna try like cash converters?

tough luck lah.. older cds not easy to get!

Well, the no-clipping of xrcd might be similar to those good old CDs. The only difference would be during recording and mixing i believe.

Edited by lekguan

You won't know till you listen to them!

Have you listened to xrcd ?

CDs are the kind of stuff which are generally "the older the better" (especially true for rock). Vinyl even better. Well perhaps that explains why this CD has good dynamics. Because its OLD!

You can't generalise 'the older the better'. What should apply is the quality of original master recording and how it is transposed into the format.

However the quality on some compilation CD nowadays do tend to sound pretty bad compared to if you bought one of the songs from it's original album. It's down to the recording company's 'Marketing Strategy' too.

I can't believe you are saying LP Meteora wub.gif quality is poor! ohmy.gif

I think it is some of the best recording and mastering I have heard. Yes it is VERY compressed, but this type of music is simply not feasible if you don't compress. I believe in most of the tracks, the major compressed/clipping parts are only when the multiple layered guitars come in. The guitars are recorded by sticking their 400Watt or so amp into a sound proof box 3ft X 2ft X 3ft or there about and then putting a microphone about 1/2ft away from the driver! If you can imagine the uncompressed dynamics of that then you will understand the need for such compression. However I completely agree it has a hypnotic, trance effect. But personally I feel the effect is part of the music?s Uniqueness! w00t.gif

At least is it better than White Stripes recording quality... whistling.gif

BTW, you can probably get allot of those tracks you want if you go and look in old vinyl shops and get them nice and cheap!

Good Luck hunting!

Sorry , I just need to upload this pic so that I can link to it of your server for my signature!

Mod edit:

In future please do that in the Lounge. In this particular case, the Animie thread.

post-2-1065572290.jpg

Edited by N@Z

Try Gramophone at Capitol Building as their collection is larger amongst its other branches. I recently got a 2-cd 80s compilation "Replay" which are remastered with DSD+SBM. A breath of fresh air, I must say.