Sign in to follow this  
jasonhanjk

My new toy review

Here are the results on some semi-serious listening.

Initial listening:

Just after the box, it has very harsh bass response and the high frequency detail is very muddy. Looking at the stock cable, the length is about 2 metres. It is meant for home usage rather than outdoor portability. Due to the head band have some elastic effect to hold the phone in position, walking in big steps would caused rubbing sound audible. The closed design only able to reduce the ambient noise slightly.

Burn in time 48 hours...

The big bass has tune down and the muddy sound has gone. The only thing I dislike is the soundstage is very narrow, everything is thrown at your face.

This baby has a bright signature and less detail low frequency response.

I don't recommend this for classical but rather rock and pop. Closed headphone will naturally increase the bass a lot but the DT231 has a slight increase only and I like it whistling.gif . Will use for long hour gaming purposes.

Overall it sounded 80% similiar to my HD600 (my benchmark biggrin.gif ) due to it didn't meet my soundstage requirement, I will stop here.

PROS

Light weight

Does not accumalate heat

Comfortable

Better than normal earphone

CONS

Narrow soundstage

Bright

Less detail low freq response

Equipment used for listening:

Marantz 7300

PPA

post-2-1065712005.jpg

Edited by jasonhanjk

Excellent. How much did it cost?

Got another question for you, how is the fit? Does the earpads encapsulate your ears or rests on top of it partially?

S$89 from Hung Bros. Now as I listen, my best to worst chart:

Senn HD600

KSC-35

DT231

The HD600 soundstage is the best and especially detail.

The KSC-35 have a slight higher bass but it sounds nice with singing artist. Burn in is not required. More detail after I get it back from repair.

DT231 is closed and have a good ambient noise isolation. It is not detail and the bass is too much; may need more burn in. The headset is very comfi and does not heat up that much compare to the HD600.

Got another question for you, how is the fit? Does the earpads encapsulate your ears or rests on top of it partially?

It rest on top of the ear. Not good for those who wear specs.

Thanks man. Look forward to the post 48hr burn in impression.

some guy at hung brothers recommend me this cans when i was shopping for my first "expensive" can. but i chose hd 200 over this. wink.gif

Their specifications are the same. The only difference besides the colour/design, is the Galactics are Special Edition & commands a slightly higher price.

In actual fact, DT231, DT231 pro and DT231 Galactic are essentially the same except for the translucent blue enclosures of the latter. They are equivalently priced (ie HK) but some retailers may or may not charge the Galactics for the hippy cosmetics.

Edited by Mackie

jason: so how's the improvement so far? after the break-in period? tongue.gif