Sign in to follow this  
Rameish

Vintage Cans & Their Sound

I noticed that there have been quite a few cans being bought recently that are models from yesteryear. Hopefully we can compile a guide to them and give an impression of their sound. This will help sgheadphone members who may wish to collect such headphones which, because of their obsolete nature, tend to fetch lower than original prices.

Some interesting headphones:

AKG 340

Sennheiser HD-530 MkII

Beyer DT-431

Grado HP-1

I will be posting my impressions on the Grado HP-1 and Senn HD-530II when I have the time. Please do give comparisons to more modern day headphones where possible.

Let the hunt for vintage gear begin:

As always,

Happy Listening.

Rameish, perhaps you can give my DT431 a go during the meet, and post your impression after that. Or anyone else out there who has a 431?

Can we get further clarification on what would be classified as 'Vintage'. So that everyone works on the same line as each other.

Lets keep on track here. Any questions please PM me. Keep this discussion about out-of-production cans/headphones of either dynamic or electrostatic types.

Hi,

Just thought I might ressurect this thread.

Although I'm no audiophile, I'm thinking of starting a vintage cans collection (I'm a huge collector freak).

Does anyone know if there's a market in "still working" vintage cans? I've scanned eBay and they go for pretty affordable prices. If i could get them locally instead of importing trhem, it'll be great. smile.gif

So do you guys know anywhere where i can start my hunt?

Many thanks!

How's this thread coming along? No one's got vintage gear?

I have a friend who's got the Senn HD414 original. Does the reproduction version constitutes as vintage? This is THE phone that got senns started big. biggrin.gif

ATH-W10TG vintage too? It's model name is well, "Vintage" biggrin.gif

post-2-1113127943.jpg

Edited by idkfa

the w1otg doesnt look all that vintage...looks like of a recent design.

The Audio Technica W10VTG is actually a year 1996 woodie series model. Out of production since. I guess it should meet remiesh's out of production citeria?