Scriberex

Mini to Mini amp cable, where to buy?

Hi, sorry for a question from a newbie.

Just got a second hand supermini v3 off the classifieds in Head-fi.

Then couldn't figure out where to get a decent short mini to mini cable. Most of the shops in Sim Lim seem to stock $5 to $8 mini to mini audio cables that are at least 1.8 meters long.

I notice that headphone.com stocks short Kimber mini to mini cables for US$45, and the Plastics One mini to mini cables for US$19.95.

Questions:

a) How much of a diference will a Kimber or Plastics One mini to mini cable make in sound quality for my setup (supermini - ipod - PX100/MX500) compared to the el cheapo S$8 cable variety?

cool.gif Where can I buy Kimber or (perferably) Plastics One mini to mini cables in Singapore?

Thanks.

Scriberex

I used to own the SuperMini v3 & the Plastics One mini to mini together. Although the sound quality of the Plastic One is bettered by my Marketek mini to mini cable (Canare cable with Canare mini plugs - sounded crisper especially in the highs) the bulk & slightly stiffer character of the Marketek cable interfers with the dimunitive stature of the SuperMini, making the cable unweildy on such a small amp. If you can find a better sounding mini to mini yet it retains the closest physical dimensions to the Plastics One then I would recommend you that. Please do note that the Plastics One might have good synergy with the iPod -> SuperMini as I found the (early generation) iPod a little bright sounding for my taste.

AFAIK, the Plastics One is only sold by Headroom. There's probably a Kimber cable dealer/distributor in SG, others will confirm here.

I owned a Kimber mini to mini, but was quite disappointed by the quality of the mini connectors used. Sound wise no time to do serious A/B, but IMHO may not worth all the money and efford to bring in from USA. Not really value for money for that price at Headroom.

Thanks N@z and Fuwen for your replies.

Your views confirm my guess that a Kimber mini to mini may not fit my needs.

My options seem to be:

a) Stick with cheap S$8 OFC mini to mini cable from Sim Lim; or

cool.gif Order from Headphone.com the Plastic One for US$19.95; or

c) Order the Xin mini to mini (http://www.fixup.net/products/pktamp/ofc_interconnect_cable.htm for US$19.99) which looks not very different from the Sim Lim Squire S$8 version, except that the length is shorter and hence more convenient.

Any one have experience with the Xin mini to mini?

Also, if anyone has a reasonably priced Plastic One or Xin mini to mini, pl. pm me. Thanks.

Edited by Scriberex

or wait for me.

I'll be back in SG in mid november and can make some for ya. I charge a pricely SGD$26 for 0.5m, $35 for 1m.

If Mackie allows, u can borrow a sample from him.

Edited by fishball79

I had a brief listen to fishball's cable from Mat & I must say it sounds pretty good but it might cost closer to SG$20? I forget. He didn't use any fancy plugs though, if the braided cable 'sheath' is thinner it would be more managable for a small amp like the SuperMini. Other than that I like it, VFM.

Thanks Fishball 79, Mackie and N@z for your help.

At last, after getting lots of blank looks and shaking heads from the vendors in Sim Lim Square and Tower, this is by far the best option!

Will pm Fishball and Mackie!

Cheers!

Scriberex

Hi,

We are talking about the 'Mystery Cable #1' prototype cable made by Fishball79, right?

If we are then I would recommend you to sample it, the cable has been in S'pore (since the last meet) for review purposes but everybody has been to busy to get around it. I have to warn you it is a prototype cable and not a production run. Any short coming of the 'Mystery Cable #1' will be rectified when it is good and ready. As N@z put it, good VFM.

Oh when you do pick it up and listened through it please do not hesitate to post your impression on it. Your input will really help the design team......Thank you!

Mat

Ps. added The Mystery Cable #01 Thread.

Edited by matbon0013

N@Z,

Ur right price was closer to $20 but it has been increased. The sample cable Mackie has uses plastic plugs and did not provide a good contact. Basically no sound if u move the cable about when plugged in. I'll be using all metal plugs and that increased cost.

Mackie,

Thanks!

Edited by fishball79

innocent.gif Hey... i want one as well...!!

my OFC 1m cable is good but i wanna see hear the difference with other cables... see how different they sound.

Oh yeah.. will be posting my thoughts on the 7506's.. i think its about time after lots and lots of listening on various but poor sources. Very true about the rubbish in = rubbish out mad.gif ...

im sure N@Z will wanna read about it... took me long enuff cause im still very new to this. headphone.gif

Oh yeah.. please go easy on me heh innocent.gifkicking.giflol.gif

Don't worry about it. Looking forward to your impressions.

my OFC 1m cable........

yours is commercially available ones?

not DIYed ones?

i'm asking because the shortest commercially made mini to mini is 1.8m

Daiyo? Didn't know they have 1m. Is it blue in color, with gold plugs? I think the least I've seen for that is 1.8m.