Sign in to follow this  
augustineRS

LOOKING FOR A CDP.

IS THERE ANY GOOD CDP THAT COMES WITH FM AND MP3 PLAYBACK?

I TRIED PX-200 WITH IFP-390, IT SOUND GREAT BUT AT THE HIGHER END SEEM TO ME SOUND VERY CUT OFF.

I FOLLOWED THE FELLOW PROS ADVICE AND DID A BURN IN FOR 3 DAYS.

ERM...I NOT REALLI GOOD AT THIS BUT I CANT REALLI FEEL THE DIFFERENCE.

DUE TO USING MP3 PLAYBACK?

ANOTHER THING IS THE KOSS EQUALIZER ANY GOOD?

THINK OF USING IT WITH MY LAPTOP....

Nice avatar but please cut the CAPS.

Avoid using lossy codecs (e.g. mp3, wma) if possible. Perhaps more burn-in would do some good, and of course better source and media...

Are your mp3s ripped at 128 or 192?

if it's the former.. then it accounts for the high frequency cut off. Usually 128kbps sound more warm and not as harsh due to this fact. Perhaps try ripping them all at 192kbps and see if it improves the situation?

I think px200 is a pretty good headphone, so most probably something is wrong down the source chain. Definitely not the headphone, I think.

One thing I've noticed is that when I can't seem to be able to tell a difference I take a break & try not to 'try' listening for the differences & enjoy the music. It also helps if you familiarise yourself with the sound. This usually takes a little bit of time using the same headphones for over more than a couple of days or so & listening to music which you are very familiar with. You'd be surprised when all of a sudden, out of the blue it hits you... I never heard that bit before. I get a kick out of that every time!

Alternatively try Absolute0's suggestion as I normally rip a few tunes on my PC in .wav (a little extreme I know but like I said 'a few' only for comparative purposes wink.gif ) They sound significantly better than mp3s even on my meagre soundcard.

k thanks.

sorry bout the caps.

i did a vbr but at a lower range though.

i onli got 256mb to squeeze...

If possible, rip using LAME mp3 encoder -alt preset standard. This is done in VBR192.

LAME mp3 encoder -alt preset standard doesn't give you a fixed bitrate everytime, IIRC. You can only get fixed bitrates if you use ABR or CBR. If you are in need of storage memory, try --alt preset standard-Y or --alt-preset fast standard. Check out this hydrogenaudio thread for tips on encoding: Link.

LAME mp3 encoder -alt preset standard doesn't give you a fixed bitrate everytime, IIRC

Yeah, thats what I said. VBR. But its roughly 192. If storage is a problem, dont use CBR. ABR yields better result, but still not as good as VBR.

iirc alt preset standard cuts off freqs at 16000hz.

alt preset extreme, 19500

alt preset insane (cbr 320) 20500.

try using this program called winLAME. it's a GUI for lame that has a TON of customisable features.

you can even use it to make a 22500hz cutoff mp3, which is theoretically (freq response wise), same as cd spec (2x22500 = 41000)

but you must remember whatever it is, mp3 is a lossy codec. dont expect things to sound exactly the same as on cd.

and remember, making a 20500hz cutoff mp3 is useless if the freq resp of your PLAYER is only, say 20000hz max.. like all iriver players are.

Edited by adhoc

using the winlame i encode a song a standard gapless....

the track from 2m23s bcome 3min?!!?

you probrably used VBR. Since VBR has variable bitrate throughout the track, timing becomes hard to track causing errors in the timing when programmes read the mp3.