Sign in to follow this  
red_ryder

Weird behaviour of headphones, amp and computer

Headphones: Senn HD25 SP

Amp: actually AV receiver Yamaha RX-V995

Soundcard: SBlive

This is the situation:

When I plug the headphones directly into the SBlive headphone jack, music and sound plays perfectly. BUT if I connect the soundcard to my amp, and then the headphones to the amp, it sounds horrible. I get pops, hisses and crackling sounds during playback. Actually it's nothing to do with the headphones, since the sound coming out from speakers also equally bad.

Can the experts help?

What cables are you using to hook up from SBLive to your amp?

I dunno what the cable is called, but one end is the Red/White RCA plug which I connect to the amp and the other end looks like your typical headphone plug.

When I plug into the Line Out jack of the soundcard, my amp has no sound. I only get sound if I plug into the headphone jack. Does it make any difference?

means that yer line out is not working or its been disabled... you should in theory get better sounds from your line out.

The reason I asked is I thought your interconnect cable might be picking up RFI / EMI interference.

There is difference. From what I know if you plug an amplified source into a mixer, and u don't pad it, it gets distorted like hell. I've heard it. Very distorted. Headphone out is an amplified one. Line out is line level out put which is for going into amps. I think if you have a high gain using headphone out will introduce distortion.

So I should buy a new soundcard then, with a functional line out. Anyways this SBlive has been with me for about 4 yrs.

Lekguan, if you don't mind can you explain some of the terms you used in your post. Sorry la, me newbie. What do you mean by "plug an amplified source into a mixer"? Is the SBLIve output an amplified source? Is my amp a mixer? What do you mean by "pad it?"

Sorry about your wallet.

Sounds like you need a decent soundcard or better yet source (CD player would be nice), a dedicated headphone amp and a better headphone (well get by with the SP until you hear the better stuff). I hate to say this but a Koss KSC 35 will sound very nice out of a portable CDP.

So would a Senn PX-200 (better than the 25 SP) IMO and YMMV of course.

So I should buy a new soundcard then, with a functional line out. Anyways this SBlive has been with me for about 4 yrs.

Lekguan, if you don't mind can you explain some of the terms you used in your post. Sorry la, me newbie. What do you mean by "plug an amplified source into a mixer"? Is the SBLIve output an amplified source? Is my amp a mixer? What do you mean by "pad it?"

headphone out is amplified. line out is considered not amplified.

about the part on mixer its just to illustrate how it might turn out if you plug an amplified source into an amplifier. No your amp is not a mixer. Mixer is the sound board people use in control rooms of auditoriums and such. "pad" is a function on mixers if you want to plug in amplified source. I think it reduces gain, so that no distortion will occur.

hmm...I think the problem lies not with the soundcard but with the AV receiver! I just played a CD on my dvd player (which is connected via digital cable) to the AV receiver, and plugged in the Senn HD25s to the receiver as well. Still got distortion. So apparently it has nothing to do with the soundcard.

But why should the receiver have difficulty in driving the headphones? Even my puny iriver mp3 player can drive these cans without distortion. On checking the manual for the receiver, it says that the headphone output impedance is 440ohms.

Or is it that my receiver headphone jack is spoilt becos seldom used? I only started getting interested in headphones when my baby girl was born. tongue.gif

hmm...I think the problem lies not with the soundcard but with the AV receiver! I just played a CD on my dvd player (which is connected via digital cable) to the AV receiver, and plugged in the Senn HD25s to the receiver as well. Still got distortion. So apparently it has nothing to do with the soundcard.

Your initial post highlighted similar distortion through speakers and cans. In the latest scenario highlighted above, do U hear the same distortions from your speakers? If so, we must troubleshoot from upstream to downstream ie, source to output. Also de-activate any surround modes and bypass your tone controls (FLAT). Keep us posted.

p.s. I'm very familiar with Yammie AV amps as I have the AX2.

Edited by Mackie

Finally solved my problem, I think. There was a "Tone Bypass" button, after I depressed it, the distortion on the cans went away. I haven't tried my speakers yet, will keep you posted after I get home tonight.

Thanks for all your help. This is a great forum, you guys have been very patient and made a newbie feel welcome. wub.gif