Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

Equalisers: why not?

I found a 31band eq s/w but it didn't work.. those would work better than foobar's. I think foobar's one too primitive.

What we need is a time, frequency and phase equaliser in software... commnicating via firewire to an outboard 24/196 & dsd DAC cum digital dsp 6 way crossover... mmmm

i have an old hardware equalizer lying around... my dad used it on his old loudspeaker setup and its got a dedicated equalizer for the left and right channel.. anybody wanna come down and look at it?

Mackie, you have got me interested in the 8024 now! ohmy.gif

How much difference did it actually make to your system? Like, big upgrade or just a slight change. Did it change the character of your system?

I have saved up the money for an amp upgrade, but now I am tempted by this!

I think I would find it useful as I use my Hi-Fi as the monitoring system for my studio as well as music listening. So it would be nice to be able to switch from a flat frequency response for studio use and the standard character of my setup to listen to music.

Even for standard music listening I think it would be nice as I have a bass suck out at about 30-45Hz and a treble suck out at about 17Khz-20Khz (speakers go to 30Khz so it shouldn?t be there in my opinion)

Also how dos it connect up? I have an integrated amp so it can't go between pre and power. I would only really care about my CD player and computer having this.

What of the sound quality? I don't like the idea of putting my Cd players lovely output through a cheapo d/a converter!

Thank-you for any info!

Tenson, I can't quite hear above 17Khz and during some kind of physics lesson, no one in my class could hear very clealy/loudly as well (compared to slightly lower freq). It seems like something is wrong with the estimated human hearing range?

Edited by lekguan

It's not that I can't hear it. I measured it with a microphone and there is a roll off around there. I tested my hearing up to 21Kz....so I dunno why no one in your class can hear past 17Khz!! It seems quite worrying!

OK, at home I can hear. the school equipment cannot go high enough.

I mean above around 17khz the increase in frequency seems to change the tone very slightly as compared to upping lower frequncies. its just some super cheap brandless bookshelf.

Anyway, fishball ever recommended me that 8024 equilizer. he liked it pretty well he said. he said stereo sounds more stereo with it. I hope u get what he means.

Edited by lekguan

Anyway, fishball ever recommended me that 8024 equilizer. he liked it pretty well he said. he said stereo sounds more stereo with it. I hope u get what he means.

Hmm.. not really! lol!

I am intending to use it with speakers by the way, not headphones.. just thought I should make that clear as this is a headphone web site laugh.gif

The only real worry I have about this EQ is the d/a and a/d converters.

I think I have decided to go for the amp upgrade though, but I would still appreciate any input about the 8024 as I may still get one later!

Mackie, you have got me interested in the 8024 now!  ohmy.gif

How much difference did it actually make to your system? Like, big upgrade or just a slight change. Did it change the character of your system?

I have saved up the money for an amp upgrade, but now I am tempted by this!

I think I would find it useful as I use my Hi-Fi as the monitoring system for my studio as well as music listening. So it would be nice to be able to switch from a flat frequency response for studio use and the standard character of my setup to listen to music.

Even for standard music listening I think it would be nice as I have a bass suck out at about 30-45Hz and a treble suck out at about 17Khz-20Khz (speakers go to 30Khz so it shouldn?t be there in my opinion)

Also how dos it connect up? I have an integrated amp so it can't go between pre and power. I would only really care about my CD player and computer having this.

What of the sound quality? I don't like the idea of putting my Cd players lovely output through a cheapo d/a converter!

Thank-you for any info!

Hi Tenson,

The improvement is very significant and instantly noticeable especially if your room suffers from flagrant resonance modes.

The dac within Behringer DSP8024 (they have a new model now) is the same ones used in Meridian cdps. It can be used as a dac via AES/EBU connection. 8024 does not change the sound of my system at bypassed mode. It's meant to eradicate room modes and any adjustment that changes the sonic character simply means U have gone overboard with the settings.

All connections are via XLR and if U only have RCA connectors, U must get adapters. Layout:

cdp > Behringer DSP8024 > amp

Edited by Mackie

Well, if you can get a cd transport with AES/BEU out (pro audio standard for digital out) you can plug it into the Behringer and use that as a DAC.

Did i say it'll sound 'more stereo'? Don't remember that... Hmm... I found that the automatic equalisation made it even more realistic sounding. Bass is no longer overblown, highs are smoother. The eq can store about 100 eq mappings so you can literally tweak the sound to suit the genre or cd. I only managed to tweak one album, a swing album, but I demo-ed it to everyone who came and they quite liked what they hear. Helped me sell my stuff too.

Well as I have been outbid 3 times in a row for 3 diferant PSX-R's on ebay to upgrade my Cyrus amp I will just give this EQ a shot! Afterall, buying on creditcard means I can take it back if I am not satisfied!!

I will order one on Monday and give my impressions when it arrives... The last thing I got on the advice of people here I was exreeeemly pleased with!

Thanx for ya help and wish me luck!

Tenson, be patient as the Behringer is not a plug-n-play pro gear. Print and crunch the following article and it will help U to expedite learning process and avoid the pitfalls.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equi...hringer8024.htm

Once U'd gotten the hang of it, be rewarded with a flat freq response. FYI, it took me about 3 months of weekend-work to fully understand, listen and fine tune different programs in accordance with my preference in presentation and music genres.

Edited by Mackie

Cheers Mackie, I read that review just before I wrote that other reply! It's a good review, really makes it sound like a good product!

Also the thing about modding the caps and op-amps looks interesting to play with later.

Just curious, what is your system that you use with it?

Oh and what is the new one? I couldn't see one on the Behringer site.

Edited by Tenson

Weeelp.. I got the Behringer DEQ2496 (new version of the 8024) and played with it for 3 days! I first used the built-in 61-band real time analyser (RTA) to see the response of my system and adjust it with the GEQ and PEQ. However when I played music the vocals and midrange sounded really recessed and quiet. So the next day I used CoolEdit Pro2 to do the analysing and found that what the built-in RTA said was flat was actually quite a way off! So I re did it all using the comp to analyse the results of any EQ?ing.

It sounded allot better like this, however it was still quite damped down in the mid-range and the highs were a bit ear piercing! The bass on the other hand did benefit significantly, mostly due to being able to extend the rang of the sub another 10hz or so and flattening out an 80hz bump. So I spent another 2 days just toying around with different variations on the EQ (flat, just removing room modes, tuned by ear etc..) But in every attempt, when compared to the original un-altered signal it just sounded extremely lifeless and very narrow. The sound-staging and size of the performance dramatically reduced. So after 3 days solid of playing with it I have now sent it back for a refund. Yes, I spent time trying to get used to the new sound (I am quite used to flat response speakers as I do allot of work in studios) but whenever I did an A/B comparison to the ?bypassed? signal it just did not compare.

I can see how it could be of more benefit in a room with worse acoustic conditions. My room is pretty good anyway and although I could find it useful to have a flat response for when I?m mixing down, it just didn?t seem worth the £240. I will say that the bass was much better and the overall sound, although drained of all life, did sound more controlled but I don?t think it revealed any more detail because of this.

So my conclusion would be a thumbs down I?m afraid ? If you have a well balanced system that is to your taste and it is set up correctly in a acoustically sound room (no pun intended) then I do not feel a EQ is necisarry!

No electronic eqs can surpass the standards set by physical acoustic room treatment but it offers an economic mean to achieving a better sound room.

3 days are simply too short to pass judgement on the Behringer EQ and from your description, I presume U have also made adjustments to freqs above 150Hz. Details are often masked by a room that is either echoic and/or boomy; more so by the latter in smaller rooms. Hence, the mean to retrieve maximum details in the mids-highs is to eradicate bass boom and on this notion, it's recommended to leave the GEQ above 150Hz detented (flat). Otherwise, tonality shift, treble brittleness/dryness and reduced soundstaging are often the results. It took less than 3db of attenuation to create such detriments. Even in a room that is not troubled by boominess, the eq can be used to tighten bass notes or relieve the amp of the burden of driving signals below the freq response of the speakers. This helps to improve overall performance especially during playback of complicated and demanding music eg. classical music with deep organ rolls.

I'm sorry to have missed out on your earlier question on my setup used with Behringer 8024. They are EMC1 cdp, Musical Fidelity A3CD pre-amp, Krell KSA-150 power amp and Dynaudio Acoustics PPM2 monitors. I've since dropped the use of the Behringer after having my room treated with Eigth Nerve response controllers. However, the eq served me very well prior to this treatment.

Edited by Mackie