Sign in to follow this  
Loky

CD tweaking tips

surprisingly crygenically treating the tubes is cheap even though it sounds super expensive for such a time consuming process. price quoted online was 5usd a tube

i have yet to try the black cd's yet cuz i just bought some just now but the slower burning speed sorta makes sense in that you do reduce jitter in the recording.

Talking about Qoo...

I *swear* that any music cd sounds better when I am sipping a chilled icycold glass of Qoo green grape! whistling.gif

Amen... ill drink to that!

beer.gif

i read here that you could buy ear wax remover liquid from any pharmacy locally so i went out an bought one bottle. After roughly 4-6 days of usage, i could hear better! The good ol cotton bud just aint cutting it anymore if u ask me. Plus if i might add, its pretty harmful to yer ears cause the ear canal is very sensitive.

Yeah, anyone know where SG have ear candle? Been trying to find but in vain.

Edited by lekguan

surprisingly crygenically treating the tubes is cheap even though it sounds super expensive for such a time consuming process. price quoted online was 5usd a tube

i have yet to try the black cd's yet cuz i just bought some just now but the slower burning speed sorta makes sense in that you do reduce jitter in the recording.

Talking about Qoo...

I *swear* that any music cd sounds better when I am sipping a chilled icycold glass of Qoo green grape! whistling.gif

If anything, seeing the HDCD LED light up will psychologically make you think it's a HDCD CD, which makes you think it sounds good/better. smile.gif

Regards

CK

something that burns in the mouth of your ear, with a piece of paper to prevent wax from falling into the ear, and will suck up earwax stuck deep inside. After a few candle, will clear the ear canal.

im still curious as to how it works... u burn then suddenly all the wax in yer ear is magically gone?

Even I am perplexed about how it works!

nvm heard of ear candle b4.. usage sounds chim too abit like SM liao hehe tongue.gif

anyway how did this thread went from CD tweaking tip to burning candles in one's ear ?? lol.gif

Edited by kenshinz

If anything, seeing the HDCD LED light up will psychologically make you think it's a HDCD CD, which makes you think it sounds good/better. smile.gif

CK,

You seem to swear by HDCD. Is it really that good?

HDCD doesn't seem popular, and many of the high end cd players/DACs don't even feature it. What hdcd decoder are you using? Compared to SACD/DVD-A, how does HDCD stand?

Please enlighten me cos I have always wondered how HDCD sounds when decoded properly.... Thanks!

CK,

You seem to swear by HDCD. Is it really that good?

HDCD doesn't seem popular, and many of the high end cd players/DACs don't even feature it. What hdcd decoder are you using? Compared to SACD/DVD-A, how does HDCD stand?

Please enlighten me cos I have always wondered how HDCD sounds when decoded properly.... Thanks!

Hi,

I am using a Rotel RCD-02 HDCD player. I have not heard SACD/DVD-A enough (my system doesn't play them), but I have a handful of HDCDs (mostly by Reference Recordings) which sounded pretty good to me, in terms of details and dynamics. I don't have non-HDCD versions of them to do an A/B though, so I can't tell how much of an improvement it is except by memory. My old non-HDCD player (Marantz CD63mkII) has died quite some time ago before I replaced it with the Rotel.

There are high-end CDPs and DACs which does HDCD. Mark Levinson has at least one. On the not-so-high end front, Audio Alchemy had one before they died. There's also the common Rotel, NAD, etc players.

Then again, like the tongue-in-cheek comment I posted, it may well be psychological. smile.gif

Regards

CK

I am using a Rotel RCD-02 HDCD player.  I have not heard SACD/DVD-A enough (my system doesn't play them), but I have a handful of HDCDs (mostly by Reference Recordings) which sounded pretty good to me, in terms of details and dynamics. I don't have non-HDCD versions of them to do an A/B though, so I can't tell how much of an improvement it is except by memory. My old non-HDCD player (Marantz CD63mkII) has died quite some time ago before I replaced it with the Rotel.

Then again, like the tongue-in-cheek comment I posted, it may well be psychological. smile.gif

Regards

CK

Hi

Once, my friend was playing this cd-r copy of an HDCD recording I made for him. When the music played on his system, I was unimpressed. It sounded no better than the system characteristics that I had grown famililar with before this.

Then I noticed that the HDCD light was not ON. That means the player did not detect the hdcd flag. But I was sure I had done a 100% dupe. So i restarted the cd player (Nad 541i), reinserted the disc, and this time the hdcd light came on. As you would expect, the sound was improved! The effect is quite subtle, but similar to what I experienced when I activated or deactivated upsampling on my MSB Link III. Sort of like -- more extended highs, more microdynamics, taller deeper soundstage.

I have been eyeing an outboard HDCD decoder ever since -- Rotel 1066 looks like the perfect device for me.

However, I do note that many audiophiles are not hankering after HDCD. Some say the very fact that a recording and its playback devices has hdcd just means that the pacific microsonic eqpt is used, and these just happen to be very good dacs. Some say that decoding is not necessary as long as the recording was encoded in hdcd, meaning better eqpt and care were used for ensuring a high quality transfer. Some others claim that hdcd is not an attractive proposition for manufacturers, so since it will never catch onto the main stream, they would rather leap one step above hdcd and go for dvd-a/sacd.

I, for one, would prefer defeatable hdcd decoding, so that I could do comparisons. I also heard the Pacific Microsonics is hoping to incorporate the technology into dvd-a recordings and normal dts/ac3 soundtracks. Maybe then it will spill over to all cd players.

In the meantime, I note that Windows Media Player 9.x detects hdcd encoded recordings. Does anyone know if it actually "decodes" the bitstream? Or it's just a detection feature?

Edited by Loky