WatCult

Aego 2 speakers

Anyone heard about the Aego 2 speakers?

Ablaze: I know you have it last time .. so how does it sound?

There was a offer for Aego 2 at $199 for MIW member 3 week ago.

A lot of guys from HWZ rushed for it so the offer ended.

But heard from a source that PA Mart at SLS might try to bring in another batch at this price so if anyone of you are interested, can go drop by at SLS to place an order for it. wink.gif

Ahh, lovely pc speakers. I have a set too, bought it in May here in Australia for AUD$300. Then some were selling them for around $200 in hardwarezone.com.sg later on. Looks like AE was trying to clear stock?

Here's an insight into this set for those who own them.

The Sound

The sub/sat combo does music very well, won't go loud nor fast. I listen without the grills, the sats sounds metallic and etched when the grills are on.

The secret behind this sub/sat is the equalisation and some simple DSP. I think the relative response down to 100hz or so is very flat. The sub don't really go low, but it increases the volume of sub-harmonics of the actual frequencies its suppose to produce, those under 100hz. So a 40hz kick drum's 80 and 160hz harmonics is reproduced loudly, not the 40hz itself.

This gives the impression that it has low bass. I'm not complaining but they should've made satellites that cover a wider range cos it sucks when the sub has to cover female vocal duties as well.

The Sats

Although the satellites are in hefty metal enclosures the drivers are shielded. I like the design of the sats, one screw holds everything together and sat can be placed in various angles.

http://image.pbase.com/u26/fishball79/uplo...2580.Aego2sat04 .jpg

The Sub

The subwoofer uses 5mm mdf with an additional layer of 5mm at the bottom (explains the screws). Basically too thin and will shake along at high bass. Internally, 2/3 of the sub box is meant for the sub enclosure, the other 1/3 for a surprisingly large IE transformer. A plastic moulded box seperates the amp from the sub.

The oval driver on the front of the sub is actually a passive radiator made out of moulded plastic. The actual active driver is a 4.5" midrange driver that is located at the bottom rear of the sub behind the metal plate!

Modifications

I did very little, basically replacing the speaker cables, interconnects and internal wiring of the sats. It improved resolution noticeably.

I also placed the sub on a diy plinth as my current room's floor is wooden and carpeted.

Holidays are coming and I would want to fiddle more with the sub section.

Here's what I plan to do

Sticking car dampening bitumen pads on the sides of the sub

Replace wiring inside sub

Disconnect the input jack on the front of the sub, its very very noisy

I felt that the bass is the weakest point of the whole setup as the speakers are wonderful so what i did to sort of counter that was to pair the sub with another sub that would give it the extra kick that i felt was missing but it took a lot of fine tuning because i did not want the bass to overpower the original unit which i felt did very well the higher frequencies but when i needed to feel that lower end punch the other bass would kick in to give it the extra feel...

Modifications

I did very little, basically replacing the speaker cables, interconnects and internal wiring of the sats. It improved resolution noticeably.

Hi Fishball,

Does the internal wiring of the sub require soldering? biggrin.gif

The Sub

The subwoofer uses 5mm mdf with an additional layer of 5mm at the bottom (explains the screws). Basically too thin and will shake along at high bass. Internally, 2/3 of the sub box is meant for the sub enclosure, the other 1/3 for a surprisingly large IE transformer. A plastic moulded box seperates the amp from the sub.

The oval driver on the front of the sub is actually a passive radiator made out of moulded plastic. The actual active driver is a 4.5" midrange driver that is located at the bottom rear of the sub behind the metal plate!

That's quite a surprise to me, but I wonder why they didn't employ a larger woofer, maybe like 6" which probably would've handled the lows better ...

not sure what is Aego 2 speakers unsure.gif

but i'll be getting some tube driven multimedia speakers soon in SLS smile.gif according to the supplier, the tubes can be rolled naughty.gif

retail price should be below $100 not confirmed yet

Is that each or a set?!

i think its a 3 piece setup, with a woofer & 2 small speakers, the tubes are on the top of the woofer, i've only seen the picture, not the actual thing yet

i'll take pics of the actual thing when it gets here smile.gif

i'll also hav a demo set in SLS for audition

There's a shop on the first floor that sells aego2.... as an owner..i think this speakers are really good and versatile.

Hi guys,

Apologies for not replying, been busy this whole semester. I ended up leaving the cables alone, too lazy smile.gif

I tried stuffing the sub with 3/4 space filled with unspun wool, it tightens bass up. It sounds more tuneful and enjoyable now though I need to set bass to max and i cannot play louder than before as amp will clip.

I also suggest you guys to replace the speaker cables. They don't need to be thick speaker cables, any flexible 2 wire cable will do. I'd reccomend belden microphone cable. The screen on that cable can be terminated at one end and clipped to any metal surface like CPU casing.

i think its a 3 piece setup, with a woofer & 2 small speakers, the tubes are on the top of the woofer, i've only seen the picture, not the actual thing yet

is it the VAL one?

the speakers arrived today smile.gif its V.A.L. looks cool but it only has 1 tube, model no. 6N3 comes from China

i'll post pics tomorrow smile.gif