Sign in to follow this  
liquid_xenon

Audio-Technica ATH-A900 or Grado Labs SR 225

I am looking for a pair of headphones. I generally use them for mp3s usually classical and a bit of pop. I am considering either the Audio-Technica ATH-A900 or Grado Labs SR 225.I do not use a headphone amp. Which one is a better choice?

Feel free to include other brands and models of headphones that are below $500.

Thanks.

If you're using them for mp3, don't think need such high-end headphones, as mp3s are missing a lot of details due to the compressions. The headphones would instead bring out all the flaws of the music, and you would not be doing the headphones any justice by bringing out their true potential.

Unless of course all your mp3s are encoded at 320kbps, even then there are still some minute details which only the original CD can produce.

Just my $0.02 worth of thoughs... feel free to disregard them happy.gif

Edited by kenshinz

Discman !! hmm ... normally people would use koss .... like ksc -35 ,50 ,55....( $50~70 ) or beyer .... Dt250 ...( 80 ohm )about $429 Sennheiser Px 200 about $80 ++ ... i suggest you take a look and try them before deciding !!! but these are those headphones that people would suggst here .... please also try to indicate here what kinds of music you listen and the sound you are looking for so we can help you more !!!! wub.gifwub.gifwub.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

classical and pop... w00t.gifw00t.gif

try senn HD600,it's below S$500 now. though it has 300ohm, but most Discman can drive it fine. this is my personal experience. and HD600 has a lot of rooms for upgrape in future.

Cans with impedance of 200 ohms upwards will not be ideal with pcdps. Of course, U'll get sound from the cans but what U hear is just a flicker of what they are capable of in a higher-end system. For clip-ons, Koss range is good enough and being of open designs bodes well for classical music.

For full size cans, U can try Beyer DT231/331/531/250 (80 ohm) and other makes like Sennheiser, Ultrasone, Philips, Sony etc. Choose one with friendly impedance and audition it with your pcdp. Balance is everything and for a budget of $500, I would rather spend about $200-300 on a full fledge cdp with a respectable headphone socket and the rest on cans. This system will yield better sound than an expensive Beyer DT880 or Senn HD600 driven by a pcdp.

Edited by Mackie