Sign in to follow this  
Huma Dragonbane

Need desperate help on headphone amp. (new topic)

Yea the Eclipse is quite a nice TT for the money, well built. All the other TT around that price are pretty poorly built. Richer Sounds used to sell them. It is certainly no equal to the Pro-ject however.

Edited by Tenson

Frankly, if you want to get into vinyl it's not only a labour of love but costs more than cdps. The cheapest TT I would go for is the NAD 533 or Project Debut. Both come with cart already aligned at the factory. Anything cheaper and you might as well just sell off what vinyl you have and pick up the cd versions.

Only go into it if you intend to buy new vinyl as well.

All said - if you really want to go into vinyl then save up.

I don't know much about the TT that mackie mentions that's on sale at echoloft but at that price its the cost of one new LP.

Edited by Rameish

Huma: I've got a lead for U. I know the seller as I've dealt with him before.

http://www.echoloft.com/cgi-bin/buysell/Ya...&num=1069898428

Thanks bro but it seems like it's sold off already. Sigh....after reading all the negatives of someone of my position(student) going into vinyls I've decided to put off any vinyl related purchases till at least a couple of months from now. I figured I should dedicated my cash to upgrading my cd listening set up first. I'm terribly sorry for asking so many questions and in the end pushing my purchase date later on.

Anyways I thought of getting another pair of headphones and a headphone amp. I went to hung brothers yesterday and say a headphone amp branded creek for sale. The cheapest one was about $500++. Although I'm also a home theater fan and would love to finally get my hands on a dts decoder, decided music comes first. So I think I can expand my budget to around $500++. Is there any headphone amps I can get there are around that price or cheaper (that be best since I'm gonna get another pair of headphones as well). What's the best budget headphone amp? Thanks a mill....Also I'm going to need at least two headphone out. (But if there's a cheaper alternative for just a one ouput amp, that would suffice.) party.gif

Hmmm before we go on, just wanted to know if it's just better to just stick to the headphone out from my cd player or to get that extra amp. As it is my player is playing back cds at just the right volume for my HP890 headphones. What's the advantages of getting an amp? Will sound quality be comprised?

All things considered Huma Dragonbane (I do miss my old name - Magic Dragon - sigh), you made a wise choice. Come and see me when you do have the time. I'll show you what an alignment protector is like, how to set azimuth, and how to set the final anti skating by ear using the hi-fi news and record review LP. You'll also see me going thru the ritual of cleaning an LP on a VPI wet vacuum cleaner before playing and if you're lucky, I may even use Linn Sondek's special green sand paper (not for sale at any costs BTW - sorry as I have very limited qty of the stuff) and show you how to sand the grime away. After which I usually apply a drop of Immedia's needle necter to my dentist type stylus brush and clean the stylus - from back to front only - without getting any liquid into the cantilever (the little hollow rod that holds the stylus (needle)). If after all that you are keen of geeting a TT. I'll be more than happy to take you shopping in adelphi.

A TT is a mechanical device, and unless you know the previous owner or a reputable 2nd hand dealer it's best to stick with brand new. There will be no spindle bearing wear so the platter will spin smoothly, no pivot bering were so the TT tonearm can swing smoothly without even minute wobbles.

Oh you'll also need a stroboscope disc to check speed. Most cheaper turntables - esp those that use an AC motor (under S$1,500) do have some stability problems and speed flux with a change in out AC voltage (it's higer at night then in the day). This is normal.

Come to think of it I think a paper stroboscope and a paper protector is supplied with the hi-fi new and record review LP.

If all this sounds terrible, don't worry, once you see it done it ain't as difficult or troublesome as it sound.

All you need is a keen eye, a steady hand and patience (just like dating) LOL. Hmm...maybe that's why there are so many vinyl junkies around :-)

Edited by Rameish