Sign in to follow this  
Huma Dragonbane

Need desperate help on headphone amp. (new topic)

As above, I'm planning to get one asap. What's the cheapest one I can get? What would the output be like? Can I connect it directly to a headphone? Or do I have to connect to a hifi or amplifier first? If that's the case, what's the cheapest amplifier for a headphone for this usage be then?

How about tape decks? How much do they cost as well? The cheapest ones.

I'm getting a sennheiser HD500 as well so I'm on a shoe string budget. I'm still a newbie so I'm not gonna invest in it fully yet. So what are the budget and cheapest turn tables out there?

Thanks a mill for any help. wink.gif

Edited by Huma Dragonbane

No offence but your first paragrah has revealed your lack of knowledge in turntables.......just showing concern and hope to alert U of what's impending. TT needs a phonostage either incorporated in an amplifier or outboard unit to amplify signals pickup by MM/MC cartridges to that equivalent of line level. I don't recommend used turntables as U'll need to fine tune them. Beginner turntables such as Music Hall MMF and Project are good enough and should cost below S$500. Btw, turntables are not plug-n-play equipment and will benefit from proper alignment of cartridges, tonearm, suspension etc. Please visit www.audioasylum.com and peruse the vinyl section before getting into the game.

Edited by Mackie

How would you describe a shoe string budget? Not to discourage you but it might be more trouble & expense than you envisage.

The Pro-ject Debut Phono SB (Speed Box) has a built in phono stage. You can just plug this into your standard line level headphone amp and away you go! It also comes with an Ortofon cartridge.

Tape decks try JVC or Yamaha.

How much does the Pro-ject Debut Phono SB cost?

I should have made a search before I posted that. A more relevant question would have been how much it cost in SG?

Some light reading: http://www.hifistore.co.uk/product.php?qsP...d1ee433f7e0d47b

I am afraid I don't know the cost or where to get it in S'pore. I live in England wink.gif

Try asking on www.echoloft.com (SG Hi-Fi forum) I have no doubt someone there will have an answer for you on just where to get one and how much it will cost.

Good Luck!

Check with Norman Audio at Adelphi. They are the dealer for Project TTs, YBA etc. Btw, please research the subject on proper alignment as I heard some of the chaps there are not too skilled in this. I stand corrected of course. A turntable which is not properly aligned can drop U into a pit wishing U should have stuck with cds instead, no kidding. I've seen a lot of newbies getting into vinyl and out in a jiffy selling their LPs/tts disillusioned because these analogue equipments need a lot of maintenance and fine tuning to sound at their best.

Edited by Mackie

I have to agree there.

FWIW, even the best budget decks needed to be set up properly to get its full potential. That is before you factor in the cartridge and cleaning/maintainence tools, not to discourage you in any way.

Furthermore, vinyl replay is through and through a manual ritual. Meaning there is alot of work involved, it's deninitely not a plug and play hobby.

Haha, well, you may say not to discourage me in any way but your words speak otherwise. I don't feel exactly confident after reading all that. Well for me, it's not really for sound quality, I just need a turn table to play some of my vinyls. I'll probably get the shop I'm buying it from to help me set-up there and then at the shop? I don't know, see how it goes.

Haha, well, you may say not to discourage me in any way but your words speak otherwise. I don't feel exactly confident after reading all that. Well for me, it's not really for sound quality, I just need a turn table to play some of my vinyls. I'll probably get the shop I'm buying it from to help me set-up there and then at the shop? I don't know, see how it goes.

If that's the case, you may as well get one of those DJ-ing turntables. They have built-in phonostages so you don't need one.

If that's the case, you may as well get one of those DJ-ing turntables. They have built-in phonostages so you don't need one.

You can always try out the DJing type of turntable like the Numark/Vestac, almost plug-n-play, some models with headphones output + normal lineout. cool.gif

Availability:

Numark - Hung brothers

Vestac - Heeren / HMV Dance

You can always try out the DJing type of turntable like the Numark/Vestac, almost plug-n-play, some models with headphones output + normal lineout. cool.gif

Availability:

Numark - Hung brothers

Vestac - Heeren / HMV Dance

Do you happen to have a Vestax VRX-2000? hehehe...