Sign in to follow this  
Huma Dragonbane

Need desperate help on headphone amp. (new topic)

No, but you can always audition them at HMV Dance / Heeren biggrin.gif

No lah.. It'd be nice if you have one. Then I can convert my CD's to vinyl. But $12,000 for a turntable cum vinyl-cutter is a heck lot......

there is a local place my friend once showed me where u can cut a vinyl for 5 bux a pop...

ill have to ask my friend again... i forgot where man

ill get back to u again on this guys.

Haha, well, you may say not to discourage me in any way but your words speak otherwise. I don't feel exactly confident after reading all that. Well for me, it's not really for sound quality, I just need a turn table to play some of my vinyls. I'll probably get the shop I'm buying it from to help me set-up there and then at the shop? I don't know, see how it goes.

Seriously, Mat has spoken the truth and we are certainly not discouraging U. FYI, both of us embrace the sound of vinyl and own turntables in our rigs. As yet, I prefer the sound of LPs over CDs/SACDs (no kidding....but just my preference) and will encourage those who wish to enter the "dark side" - vinyl.

We are trying to alert U to the issues of getting maximum value out of your expenditure. As yet, check out Tenson's suggestion ie. Pro-ject Debut Phono SB, at Norman Audio, Aldephi at Coleman Street (diaginally across Funan Centre).

Maintenance issues to be considered are the following, aside from the choice of hardware:

1. Cleaning of LPs - U'll need to clean them as they pick up dirt and grime. High humidity in this country is also a boon to fungus growth. The cheapest and fully manual cleaning gear ie. NAB costs around S$200.

2. Static on LPs - U'll need a bare minimum carbon fibre brush to apply through your LP or hear fantastic fireworks (clicks and pops) during playback. One should cost < S$20.

3. Stylus cleaner - No matter how clean your LP is, the stylus will pick up dirt and even grime on dirtier LPs and it needs to be cleaned after every session. U can view the garbage stuck to the stylus thru a magnifying glass and it can be really stubborn. Awfully dirty stylus will result in a muffled sound on playback. Liquid solution costs cheaper <S$20 but dry cleaner such as ZeroDust costs about S$70.

4. Sleeves - paper sleeves are sold in a 100-piece pack and cost S$25. These are necessary and ideal against moisture from the environment with high humidity. Plastic anti-static such as Nagaoka and American Traders sleeves cost a few folds more.

The abovementioned items are wholly essential and not a luxury for any turntable setup. We've yet to dabble on the instruments needed for proper alignment.

Unless U are prepared to spend and shoulder these issues, U won't have much joy with your turntable and TTs for long. I worry on your behalf that U might just liquidate the whole setup in the classifieds. In the currently poor resale market, U can lose as much as 50% of your outlay for the turntable. Demand for it is definitely lower than a cd player.

This forum is meant to encourage and share information/opinions amongst members and we have no joy in discouraging anyone from a certain undertaking. However, we try to raise your awareness to certain areas so that U'll benefit the most out of it. If we stay mum when seeing a potential pitfall, I dare say the forum has failed in its objective. For your consideration, please.

If you are not too bothered about the quality... Why not just download the music you want on MP3? You already own the recordings in vinyl so its not illegal, right? I may be wrong there though ohmy.gif Then burn them to CD from your computer. If your records are old and not particularly well taken care of (being played on bad TT?s and ruin them) then you may find the quality better!

However I say don?t be discouraged by the comments, you will be fine with the Pro-ject. Just ask the shop the basics on how to set up and you should be fine for playing back a few old favourites. Mackie and others are vinyl junkies so they find it hard to bare the thought of someone not getting full potential from their deck.

what about the bush mtt?

only 50 pounds (about 150 sing), has a five star rating from what hifi? and comes with a built in phono stage.

Huma: Set aside S$500 for a new turntable. Used Thorens TD125/160 can be gotten in the used market below $300 but condition varies.

Tenson: I know of a case on Echoloft when a member bought a basic Pro-ject tt from the dealer and enountered hum problems within weeks of usage. The dealer said it's prevalent with the unit and was unable to help. It was eventually solved by a fellow forumer. Once again, I wish to highlight how lucky U are in UK; great service and consumer-protected policies by British audio dealers.

Edited by Mackie

Tenson: I know of a case on Echoloft when a member bought a basic Pro-ject tt from the dealer and enountered hum problems within weeks of usage. The dealer said it's prevalent with the unit and was unable to help. It was eventually solved by a fellow forumer. Once again, I wish to highlight how lucky U are in UK; great service and consumer-protected policies by British audio dealers.

So what was the problem in the end? Ground loops or bad earthing of the chassis or something not as simple?

I feel very lucky to be protected by these policies, believe me! Does the same apply for computer parts in S'pore? The number of times I have had damaged computer parts and sent them back... If that was not allowed I would be very broke!!! wacko.gif

Good Luck Huma Dragonbane!

Edited by Tenson

Thanks Tenson but err..are you referring to people in the UK with the capital U or me? Cause I'm in singapore. haha. $500? Damn.....I think I should be able to come up with that money with this month's pay....hopefully at least.

Tenson: I'm not too sure of the cause of the problem ........something to do with the connection of the cartridge to tonearm. It's not a mind boggling problem but owner was somewhat disappointed with the dealer's level of knowledge in this particular product. However, do note sales service of Norman Audio is one the very best many audiophiles and I have encountered.

Edited by Mackie

I wouldn't go into DJ TT if I were you - they are generally not built foe sound quality. Money has been spent elsewhere to ensure that they stand up to the DJ use.

Check with the former Project distributor (Music By Design) if they have any left - they used to sell them for a song and they do know how to set up a TT for you since they started life as a TT shop. They still sell several barnds of TT but unfortunately all in the higher-end.

Other than the Project you might want to consider the NAD 533 or Rega P2 (both not as good as the P3 but almost plug and play) NAD makes/made a cheap phono stage at S$100. The NAD 533 costs around S$500 - so for S$600 you'll have good solid TT setup.