Sign in to follow this  
headphonecrazy

Headphone Acoustics Reference CD

What sort of music is on there? What is supposed to be the specialty of using blue now?

An uncanny reference to blue laser perhaps? Too bad the technology isn't out in the consumer market yet (if it is, I haven't heard about it).

Question though - I see blank CDs being sold at various prices. The branded ones like TDK and Maxwell are slightly more expensive, while generics are cheaper. I suspect that, unlike blank cassette tapes, there isn't any difference quality wise between those CDs or is there?

Verbatim and blue color seems to ring a bell, the metal azo dye. And yes, the metal azo dye (verbatim and mitsubishi chemicals CD-R) is blue in color.

So am I correct in saying, basically the Blue coloured Metal AZO dye main advantage is ensures data keeps for a very long time & burns more reliably but may have some compatability issues on some players?

Not quite, there is another dye used by a few other manufacturers that has longer life than the AZO dye. It starts with P IIRC. Just that the AZO dye is like the flagship dye of Verbatim/Mitsubishi.

I don't think there is any kind of compatibilty issue of the AZO dye. This I'm not so sure. Haven't come across such problem.

Edit:

http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_dye.shtml

http://www.cdrplanet.com/dye-layer.html <-- The dye whichs starts with P is explained why it has advantage

Edited by lekguan

yo hey .. that will be a little kinda coslty .... i don't think there a need to go so far fopr a cd-r ( audio ) kicking.gifkicking.gifhammer.gif

N_T, why would you say that? Do they cost more than the Black CD-Rs?

Edited by N@Z

the metal AZO dyes are rated as Audio grade , they are not those normal blue/green type dye, Metal Azos are very dark blue in color

if u compare them sound wise, the black CDRs and other normal silver or gold and even those ultima gold CDRs the difference is almost none, but if u compare the Metal Azo with the rest, u can tell the Metal Azos sound more warm/mellow, they are very good for vocals and classical music.

the best one are those 74min Metal Azo disc which are no longer in production, i still hav some of them smile.gif they are verbatin 74min metal azo, they are also known as Disc@too disc, there's 1 generation of Yamaha CD writers that can do tatoo on CDRs but u can only see the result on the Metal Azo cause they hav the darkest color

metal azo disc never hav any burn problems, i think its because the chemical used is very stable when the laser is heating it, almost all of my oldest CDRs are metal AZO (6-7yrs) i think its also the first type of dye they develop for CDRs

smile.gif i "backup" all my instrumental CDs on Metal AZO, they should be able to outlast the other types of Dyes

i hav some silver/gold disc that are only 2-3yrs old and they are already starting to show signs of chemical breakdown, u can tell when the recording side starts to change color, can see wave pattens on the Dye

N_T, why would you say that? Do they cost more than the Black CD-Rs?

ya and is by amost one time for the black cdr price ( per piece ) hammer.gifhammer.gif