Sign in to follow this  
belgarion

Sony D66 Eggo Vs PX 200 Vs PX 100 Vs Sony MDR 7506

Hi guys,

i cant decide which one to get. Im still looking for a pair of headphones which does not need amplifications, sounds nice direct from a portable , does not leak sound. And most importantly , mus be good for vocals. I prefer warm sounding headphones as i used to own the grados and they sound too bright for my liking.

Any recommendations, guys ?

Edited by belgarion

The Sony MDR 7506 have quite good isolation, but I don't think they can be considered warm sounding, in fact if I didn't remember wrongly, they actually sound abit bright.

the 7506's have sibilance which makes the Ss'es sound abit unbearable so not that really good for vocals.

Sony cans tend to be abit bright sounding.

I don't have any experience with the PX100 but of the other 3 you've mentioned I'd choose the Sony MDR-7506 first, second the Senn PX200 & finally the Sony MDR-D66SL (Eggo) for unamped portable use. This is based on sound alone & does not take into account of the other factors like sound isolation, comfort or practicality.

My impression on the brightness factor is, highest 7506 -> Eggos -> PX200 darkest. The 7506 is not as 'hot' sounding as say the Grado SR80 though especially if you replace the stock earpads with the (more comfortable) Beyer DT250 pads. You do lose the midrange noticeably with this mod. The Eggos are the warmest sounding & has the widest soundstage. BIG bass on 7506 -> PX200 -> Eggo (still fiarly visceral compared with the etys anyway).

I've tried the 7506, and unamped, i didn't like it AT ALL. Bright, harsh, sibilant... I found PX100 quite muddy, but improved quite a lot if u place it towards the back of your ear, unlike the usual placement. Maybe eggos? Not too sure, haven't listened to them.

its a compromise i suppose...

N@Z reinforces the fact that although the warmest sounding cans , the Eggos, leak sound a fair bit as well. Although categorised as closed (looks closed as well), i prefer the term semi-closed for it. A fair bit of venting holes and not really much isolation from sounds outside which i favour more than sound leaking out. I do think that the big soundstaging comes from the venting, giving it a bigger sense.

hmm why dont you organize a day and ask them to bring down theirs can and try out .. and then decide to get the one that sound best to you ! happy.giflaugh.gif

FWIW, the sibilance in the 7506 is non existent with a good amp. So in this case that is out of the running. Just my 2¢

Edited by matbon0013