ablaze

Slow or fast?

as demonstrated the other day at Rameish's place, I really have no idea how to judge if an amp is "slow" or "fast" rolleyes.gif

somebody explain?

(see like every now and then, I pick up my cans and listen, and suddenly I get this distinct impression that music is playing "slower" than i'm used to hearing. I suspect its just some bug with my music software. so back to the topic: what IS amp "speed"?)

Ahh, I've experience this phenomenon not so long ago. There is a CD (Collective Soul's 1st album) I used to listen to all the time on my main speaker set up. Then one day I dug it out & played on my MG Head setup... there it was, the speed was slow. Hard to describe, so I listened with the META. It sounded more like I was used to. Could it be the EMP & MG Head's speed is slower?

I'd expect tube amps to be slower. but is this what they mean by an amp's speed? I thought it might have something to do with some characteristics like bass roll-off ie. a quick "thump" vs a slower "thumpppppppp". oh wait, is that tight vs loose? tongue.gif

"thump" is tight and "thumpppppppp" is loose to me, tubes rolling to another type or brand may change the amp speed. tongue.gif

When I put the mullar tubes on my MicroZolt it "thumpppppppp" wacko.gif change to sylvania GB it "thump". rolleyes.gif

Wouldn't that be called bass extension?

if thats bass extension, whats "speed"? sorry if I'm confusing everyone happy.gif

Barradio, what tubes does the MicroZOTL use?

one pair of V-T231 Ken Rad and one pair of Telefunken ECC801S (grey plate 3 mica USA made no ).

The Telefunken is slightly smoother at the highs than the sylvania GB 6201. happy.gif

Tried playing Metallica on those high end tube system at someone place. Almost fell asleep. Felt that the speed was slow.

On my SS amp with Meta42 as a Pre, then I can feel the rythm and pace, and of course the music was dynamic and flowed very fast.

normally I would think the source which should be cdp play the most important role for speed. Naim and Rega CD player is well known for fast and good rythm cd player. Actually others component do will affect the speed. Like the Grado SR 60 headphone that I am using, the pace is very slow compare to my just bought Koss Porta Pro.

Fook Lai

Maybe I can help. As cans setups are in concern, I guess we can remove room modes (major concern in speakers setups) from the list of factors that affect what we perceive as speed.

Every link in the setup (including interconnects/power cords) will either slow or quicken the pace of music. The main aspect that contributes to this perception is bass performance. Take Nordost Red Dawn interconnects for instance, these are fast sounding because bass is a tad lean. The quick recovery or perhaps a lack of deep bass extension (whether we can hear it or not) gives one a sense of speed. If any link or gear leans toward a bassy sound esp having a bloomy lower mid-mid range, speed will be perceived as slower. IMO, bass overhang and too much warmth at the mids gives one a sense of either relaxed or drag...never fast.

Listen to the bass lines on HD600 and DT880, the latter will sound faster but when vocals are played, U'll notice the 600 sounds fuller. Hope this helps? ** shrugging **

Edited by Mackie

ah..nothing like a speaker-guy in a headphone forum to explain things smile.gif

ok so speed="recovery"

so the tempo of the music has got nothing to do with it?

say a track thats 3:01min long, if it SEEMS to play for 3:04min (not talking about the track display, but how my ears seem to be perceiving it ie. it seems to be playing "slower") its got nothing to do with the "speed" of the amp or components, and its just probably my source screwing up? happy.gif

Not tempo, more presentation. Hence if the track was originally 3:01 & now you have 3:04 then it might have something to do with ripping, when it actually started & stopped.