Sign in to follow this  
Sanjuro

Running 2 soundcards in a system

Hi guys. I've been looking for a good soundcard replacement, and so far none has satisfied my needs. I want good music, and yet good gaming performance as well.

The audigy2 has wonderful gaming performance, everything is hardware accelerated, works up to EAX aHD. Problem it upsamples everything below 48khz to 48khz (correct me if I'm wrong), has wierd sampling issues with the drivers, and the music quality can't really compare to, well, the Revo7.1.

The revo's a wonderful card, yes, it has everything, except good gaming performance. To game using EAX, one must switch the card to the Sensaura mode, and everything will be resampled to 48khz (according to reviews I've read) and it eats up the CPU time like nothing. Certain EAX issues are also present, althought I'm not too sure what.

So what I was thinking, was to get both an A2 and a Revo7.1, and hook up the A2's line out to the Revo7.1's line in, and run my cans off the Revo, is that wise? A2 would be set as primary sound, and all music players (winamp and the like) set to play off the Revo. Everything will run in 2 channel mode.

What do you guys think?

Hmm. Theoratically it should work. Reasons behind it is because not all the cards uses the same interupt. Somebody must try it of course. biggrin.gif

Theoretically, you should be able to run 2 or more soundcards provided you have enough IRQ/DMA channels. And both can be active. With proper software, you can even channel some sounds to one, and other sounds to the other. Under plain-vanilla Windoze of coz, the sounds all go through one as (if I am not wrong) everything has to go through the Sound Mapper thing.

Regards

CK

Is there really that much difference in sound quality from the A2 and the Revo?? I had an A2 for a while and it sounded damn good to me! I have now moved onto a professional sound card (Edirol DA2496) and the sound quality isn't THAT different.

Why not take your cans to a shop and have a listen to both cards? There must be a shop with the card in a computer already.

Cheers,

sanjuro, get the terratec dmx 6fire soundcard

its basicly the same as the m-audio revo but it doesnt suck in games, it has hardware acceleration which is missing in the revo due to the higher version of the sound chip.

oh yeah, i think i saw in hardwarezone forum, garage sale, somebody selling off a used set for only 80 bucks...its a real steal considering it cost more than 300us...