Sign in to follow this  
fuwen

Sound Devices HX-3 / Kimber mini / Fishball mini

Hi! Requested by N@Z writing something about my portable headamp and the mini-mini cables that I am using.

My headamp Sound Devices HX-3 is made by a US company founded 1998 (very young) www.sounddevices.com targeting for film making, outdoor recording types of market. So not much heard of in the consumer and audiophile circles. HX-3 is the only headamp they made (the rest are all field mixer types of products), runs on 2 AA batteries, with 3 headphone jacks (each with own volumn control), TRS and balance input, stereo/mono switch, cripping indicator for all outputs and a power indicator which is green with good batteries and red with weak battries. The latest Headroom Airhead incorporates the cripping indicator and the weak battery indicator, not sure whether they get the idea from sound devices.

HX-3 is definitely rugged, not that light in terms of weight. Sonic wise being a pro-audio product I felt that it is neutral, flat response, full of details. I am very happy with its sonic characteristics. However, being a musician in a amateur Chinese Orchestra for almost 10 over years, I am more used to sound that are 'real', and are normally harsh and with plenty of imperfections so my music taste is quite different from people. So IMHO for those who like tube sound do not touch this amp.

The mini-mini I used was a Kimber bought from Headroom. However I do not find it value for money, as I have stated in one of the thread here. The build quality is good though but the sound is not as exciting. Recently managed to get Fishball79 to make a copper mini-mini and a silver mini-mini for me. And I like the sound of the silver mini so much more than the Kimber! I have not try out the copper one yet. Somehow I prefer silver cables.

HX-3 is not that convenient for normal protable use as the input and output jacks are located at the side of the amp. So Fishball79 mini-mini with right angle minis solves this problem for me. I guess the side mounting jacks work fine with outdoor filming crews.

post-2-1071822323.jpg

Edited by fuwen

I notice there is/are few models of the Shure products that look like Sound Devices, but I do not remember seeing an amp, but do remember is the mixer that looks alike( or identical except the brand!)

What I believe is Shure get Sound Devices to make for them and put on a Shure label. Or there are some collaboration between them. Anyway Sound Devices are cheaper than Shure, I believed.

Thank you very much for the write up fuwen. I wasn't expecting it so soon! It looks solidly built. I remember someone was looking for an amp with 2 headphone outs, this one has 3!

I'm not surprised you like silver cables based on your taste described. Actually tubes CAN sound harsh & shows up imperfections & I'm suprisingly hearing that on my Cayin tuberolled with JJ Electronic tubes. I guess I like my music a little coloured!

BTW, if it's not too much trouble, can you post a photo of the sides & back of the amp if there's anything on them. Just wondering what those things are at the side.

Thanks for the writeup on my cable. This is not the first time i'm getting feedback on how the silver just seem to be more listenable than the copper.

Sorry to say that my silver wire has run out of stock dry.gif so no more orders for a few weeks at least.

well i heard the amp before it sound very neutral, and very detail... it is very well built .. ( very heavy or too heavy for portable amp ) .... there are 3 headjack out put ... with 3 volume pot for each ... wahha what best is that 2 AA batteries can drive this amp at loud volume that uses 3 output

Cool and upz for this amp but it cost a BOMB ( at least to me ) if i don't remember wrongly Fuwen told me before it cost around $500 ++ ...

Cheers laugh.gif

N_T happy.gif

Edited by N3w_Typ3

input side of HX-3

post-2-1072060616.jpg

Edited by fuwen

Side of the HX-3 for the outputs.

post-2-1072060645.jpg

Edited by fuwen

The mini cable made by Fishball79 that I am testing (left 1st and 2nd) and the Kimber mini (right)

post-2-1072060676.jpg

Edited by fuwen