Sign in to follow this  
augustineRS

DENON cd player DCD-1300

I think this is a pretty old model. Found it on yahoo auction thinking of getting as my 'virgin' source.

Stats look pretty decent.

Guys any experience with this?

I wouldn't think so! My Yamaha CDX 1050 is also rather old, dunno how old exactly... I like it wink.gif You should try to listen to it! If the sound is good, take it. Most older players have a very high standard in terms of their build. My Yamaha weighs about 10 kg. Its drive is made of metal laugh.gif You won't (at least not for a few hundred...) find this nowadays. If it's looking good too, sounds good: go get it! I'm sure that it will last pretty long. But as always your taste in sound will have to decide and you should have a look at new players from NAD or Rotel or whatever... They are building very fine players for not too much money. And another word of advice! Such old players like the Denon you mentioned are often overpriced, at least at eBay or whatever...

this going at S$100.

since is local, perhaps i should request for an audition first

of cos ..

trust your ears !!

happy.gifholiday.gif

I think this model was first released in 1986. Anyway, if the seller does not allow an audition, then don't touch it. If he/she does allow, test the player thouroughly to make sure everything is working as it should.

1986?! ohmy.gif

I'm still playing with marble back then.

Think I'll lokkk around abit more.

Guest Ruach

Drawbacks of old cd players my friend:

i. aged capacitors - capacitors have lifespan - the older they get, the worse they perform; in addition old capacitors leak and the leakage will attack leads on the circuit board (nearest example - leaking batteries).

ii. second, leads on circuit board tends to erode due to humidity - negative impact on sound quality

iii. oxidised internal wiring

iv. aged transistors - like capacitors, aged transistors don't perform, tend to get faulty and need replacement

v. laser assembly - manufacturer may not stock replacement lens anymore.

Build isn't everything. Unless you know your stuff well, do avoild old cd players. As for me, I will ask for a visual inspection of the insides of the cd player, call the manufacturers' service centre for availability of the laser assembly, and factor in the cost of servicing in the offer price for that old cd player

Edited by Ruach

Hi AugustineRS,

I do suggest that u bring more than 1 familiar cd to test it with. Preferably at least 1 cd that is lightly scratched. Most ppl have cds in their collection that have minor scratches at least. And with my experience with old cd players, they tend to be more unforgiving (at least those i have used), i'm not sure if it's because of the age of the lens oe whatever, but they tend to skip if the cd is not in mint condition. So i think that's important, cos it can save u trouble later.

Instead of searching around for old players that might not be in good condition, I would suggest patience on your part(not easy, I know!), and save up to get a brand new entry level cd player from brands like Marantz or Cambridge Audio. I've seen some nice players from them for about $330(which is like what, the cost of 2 discmans??). For the money you get a brand spanking new player with headphone jack, and a 1 year local warranty. I think you'll actually save money and a lot of headache in the long run by choosing this option.

Edited by av98m

That's what I actually did today.

When shopping for a new player.The feeling of shopping is just in the air.

Was actually looking for the Philips DV963SA.

get a dvd player + sacd player at the same time.

i looking at Yamaha stuff to

Hi Augustine. A 1986 cdplayer, hmm..not a famous 1 and the seller asked for $100? Go for a used marantz cd4000 or cd5000 instead. my -2cts.

welcome.gif

Enjoy your stay here blush.gif

Qn: Are u the same edwardmaniacs from the exitmusik dnb forums?