Sign in to follow this  
wishlist

Merry Christmas !

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and first of all a Merry Christmas and Hopefully a good Year to come.

I am also new to this headphone thingy, just got my iRiver PCDP and my first so-called headphone - a sennheisser PMX60 yes.gif

Reading thru the thread on portable headphone amp really got me interested. My first question is which amp should i get if my musical gene is more towards the rock side, i need something that provide me the punch and kick and must be portable. Budget will be up to $300.

Diy will be great but I guess I have never been good with my soldering and electronics skill.

Budget of $300! Thats more than enough for a portable amp. If you're not really that interested in DIYing your own amp(which is not as easy as it seems, despite what some would have you believe. you could end up wasting quite a bit of money and time and end up with something that doesn't work) anyway, and just want to get a good sounding amp for your money, try a Mint Meta or Pimeta from builders like JMT or Headsave.

I use the Tempo from Headsave with my discman:

Pics of my own Headsave Tempo

I paid about 280sgd after adding the more expensive alps volume pot and extra buffers, before shipping. You can save quite a bit by not adding the extras, which are really not necessary for portable use tongue.gif . Go to headsave.com and check out the amps available, unfortunately Norm is going away for vacation and will not be ready to build any more till end January. He does excellent work though, and will answer any questions you have. I traded emails with him for nearly 2 weeks before ordering.

Edited by av98m

for $300 can get 2 of my Cmoy variant (aka Cmoy slayer) smile.gif

but its currently still under the testing phase, i still want to tweak it a little more before selling it.

a DIY mint-meta should also be about that price maybe a little more (buf634 more costly)

the amps i mentioned are all build on breadboards, with a little modification, not exectly like the original but its as close as i can get without the prefab boards

i think Cmoy has more then enough punch for most headphones, only problem is that it doesn't sound as good with cheaper/lower impedance phones

True, low impedence phone need to be current drive rather than voltage drive....

Dunno how's yong clone Gilmore.... rolleyes.gif

there's where my Cmoy slayer comes in lol.gif

now i'm thinking op-amp & buffer for ground signal...Pimeta...PPA in a mint tin w00t.gif

laugh.gif O.o boy ... anyway ... for $300 buget you can try out alot amp

like headsave .... meier audio and lot also the Super micro from fixup

well it seem that AbsoluteO is still selling ... here the link !

SGH Classifieds

here is for meier audio porta corda 2 (PC II)

meier audio

for headsave i forget what the link ..

please try it first before buying !!!

or a max out meta 42 or mint .. ( D.I.Y )

up to you !! for $300 is a lot !!!

CHEERS ! happy.gif

N_T wub.gif

get the Tempo from Headsave

Headsave

ask av98m for a review

though I know an amp can make alot of differences but I think the sound from Iriver are good.

I used to have the IMP550 and still using the IFP390.

If listen to mp3 format with amps u might hate it.

alot distortion

oops, realise av98m already posted on the Tempo

Hope I'm not charge with crap posting!

Edited by augustineRS

Wishlist, does your iriver have a line-out? if you're going to connect the amp to your line-out jack, make sure you get a portable amp with a volume pot, since you will not be able to use the player's volume control when the line-out is used. I understand tropicalrip's amps are meant to be plugged directly into the headphone-out, hence no volume pot.(correct me if I'm wrong. wink.gif )

Oh, I nearly forgot, the porta corda 2 is also a highly recommended portable amp, and comes with an excellent mini-to-mini cable and 120ohm adapter. I haven't had the chance to listen to it though.

Edited by av98m

yep , my amps currently are build for mp3 players that can't really bring out the best of the higher-end headphones, especially those that run on single AAA batt happy.gif

Hey, thanks for all the advise and links. Appreciated.

Now I am flooded with options.

av98,

Yes, the iRiver comes with a line-out option. I am interested in the Headsave, any chance I can have a listen to it?

tropicalrips Cmoy getting very cool, I wish i had the skill to do that.

Anyway, I am a Naimee and I have always like the flat and punchy characteristic of the Naim hifi amp. The PCDP on the other hand let me have very intimate relationship with the music(with tiny speakers on my ears) and I would get better results thru the use of a good portable headphone amp.

Anywhere I could have a audition of those portable you all have mentioned?

my amps are also open to audition smile.gif

but you'll need to come down to my work place, also PM me which amp u want to try