Sign in to follow this  
Musica

PX100 over the 200s

I chose the PX100s over the 200s because:

1) From the reviews and articles I read on the net, open cans are sonically superior to the closed ones. I don't wish to compromise sound quality over shutting out outside noise, because I might use the cans at home from time to time. The salesman confirmed this, but who knows? Haha...

2) I figured that when it gets too noisy on the bus/mrt, I can always up the volume to shut out the hinderance the good old fashioned way. I mean the Grados are open-air, aren't they?

3) It seems slimmer?

smile.gifsad2.gif

PS- S$79.90 at Hung Bros

Edited by Musica

I would recommend blocking some noise. In such a noisy place, turning up the volume actually doesnt sound too loud. But if you were to walk to a quiet place at the same volume, you would discover how loud it actually is. Bad for your hearing.

How's it possible to block the noise when I'm using open cans? Any sort of mufflers...?

Just to clarify something, the purpose of this post is just to let us know why you choose the PX100 over the PX 200 right? Or is there something else you wish to share with us or need our advice on?

Edited by lengcm

It's just to convince myself that the 100s are truly better than the 200s. tongue.gif The purpose of this thread is well, to discuss about the PX100/200s? The 2nd post I made is a genuine question.

http://www.sennheiserasia.com/product/headphone/px100.html states that there's a "convenient line-in volume control" but I can't seem to find it. sad2.gif Help?

edit- lengcm: Yep... Is it true that the 100s sound better than the 200s?

Edited by Musica

It's just to convince myself that the 100s are truly better than the 200s. tongue.gif The purpose of this thread is well, to discuss about the PX100/200s? The 2nd post I made is a genuine question.

http://www.sennheiserasia.com/product/headphone/px100.html states that there's a "convenient line-in volume control" but I can't seem to find it. sad2.gif Help?

edit- lengcm: Yep... Is it true that the 100s sound better than the 200s?

I can never decide for you what sounds better. It depends on the following factors:

1) Type of music you listen to

2) Source

3) Environment

4) Isolation required?

Edited by lengcm

Did you actually try both cans before buying? Or just based on reviews?

Based on reviews. I did not have the privilege to try both cans before buying sadly. sad2.gif

Did you actually try both cans before buying?  Or just based on reviews?

Based on reviews. I did not have the privilege to try both cans before buying sadly. sad2.gif

Since you have already purchased the PX100, what's the point in asking us to tell you the PX100 is better than the PX200? no.gif

How's it possible to block the noise when I'm using open cans? Any sort of mufflers...?

You can't & there isn't. Under noisy conditions a closed pair of headphones will be the better choice.

Anyway, enjoy your new cans & look after your hearing. headphone.gif

When have I asked you to tell me that the PX100 is better than the PX200? no.gif Because I might purchase the PX200 also.

Thanks N@Z smile.gif

What I would like to know from PX users here also is that whether the difference of sound quality between both is more significant than how the PX200 isolates. What other portable, closed cans do you guys recommend?

I read on the net, open cans are sonically superior to the closed ones.

I beg to differ. No single design ie open, semi-open and open-back is by rule of thumb superior over the others. However, each and every one of these designs have their own strength and weakness. The essence in buying the right one for your need is in understanding the environment of application. If U're on the go a lot, closed cans are best. In a quiet environment, closed cans do not fail against semi-open and open designs too. For instance, I love Beyer DT-990 (open) a mile over DT-770 (close) but my favourite is still DT-150 (close) if thrown into the ring for comparison.

Back to your question Musica. Since U've gotten PX100 for what U perceive as offering better sound quality than PX200, I suggest U might wanna buy another pair of cans/ear buds soley for isolation but yet offer decent sound. U will grow to be happier this way; a different main course for different seasons. I've learnt that open cans, no matter how fantastic it sounds can't perform well in a noisy environment for it's not designed for this application.

Edited by Mackie

Well if you ask here, there are both users of the PX100 and PX200. Some prefer 100 and some prefer 200. av98m for instance, likes the PX100 for its more "open" sound. I on the other hand, prefer the PX200 because I don't like to be disturbed and it does produce good sound quality. It really depends on :

a) type of music you listen to

cool.gif how much external noises there are

Having heard both units, I do feel that the PX200 has more bass, probably due to its isolation reinforcing the bass response.

BTW, you can listen/test both out at Hung Bros. They do allow trials. I'd advise you to bring your own source so that you can assess the cans better.