Sign in to follow this  
bwtay

My first thread: HD600 - MS2 comparison

Howdy comrades!! Just picked up my first pair of Senns so I thought I'd share my opinions with u guys! This is my first thread so bear with me please.

Firstly here's my setup:

Source: Sony DEJ2000

Audio Interconnect: Onix "Blue" Cable

Headphone Amplifier: Grado RA - 1 (this is not the best there is but it sure is a great buy)

Headphones: Sennheiser HD600 w/ stock cable, Allesandro M2

The HD600 is a very nice headphone. Extremely pleasant to the ear. The highs are a little more tame as compared to the M2s. Bass is a lot better too, I can actually feel the punch as opposed to the M2s. Another thing about the 600s is that there is a greater seperation of details in the music. It is not as "in your face" as the Grados. The sound out of these Senns are much more laidback in contrast to the Grados which makes some recordings a little "boring" (e.g. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue). However I'm listening to Thelonious Monk - Live at the "IT" Club right now and all I can say is that the 600s bring a whole new dimension to my CD. I can hear the different instruments so clearly and the detailed sound from the audience is simply out of this world.

But I do admit that the Senns have a much wider soundstage comparing to the Grados (which I am still trying to get used to). Grados have a much more detailed sound which the Senns (no offense to die hard senn fans!), maybe because their phones are relatively brighter (trying to correct these with Flat pads that are on their way). It makes the user feel so much closer to the musician, its unreal. Having said that, the Grados have a much narrower sound stage which makes sound seperation harder for the listener and may give some ppl a headache.

After comparing both these phones, I still cannot pick my favourite. The bass is nice and tight on the Grados but not quite enough punch(the Senns have nice BASS! unfortunately not quite as tight). The highs are a little too tamed on the Senns but at least not overbearing (in certain recordings) like the Grados. I have been using Grados for too long now, but after continuous listening to my Senns I am starting to lean towards these babies. I have a feeling the flat pads will correct the bright nature of my M2s coz when i squeeze my phones against my head when Im listening to it, it takes the brighness down significantly. As for the 600s, more burn in and new cables should tighten up the bass and brighten these up a notch. Anywayz Im extremely happy with both phones they both have the own unique character and I would reccommend either of these phones to any undecided buyers out there.

One thing's for sure the Senns sure are a heck a lot more comfy that the Grados!

Well that's a wrap, thanks for bearing with me. I sure would appreciate comments and/or criticisms on my amateur reviewing skills and/or the headphones. And for other Newbies wanting to burn a hole in their wallet, hope that helped you out.

P.S. One more thing, any recommendations for a head-amp and new cables for the 600? Please share.

Edited by bwtay

No need to choose between the two, enjoy them both like I do! I haven't heard the RA-1 in quite a while now. At the time I personally felt it sounded dry/bland for my taste compared with a META42 amp on both the HD600 & RS-1.

I'd recommend the Senn HD414 (yellow) comfy earpads with the 50 cent hole mod, cheaper than getting the flat pads for your Grados. I feel it makes the bass sound fuller & reduces the brightness slightly on my RS-1. I think there is a cheap used one in the classifeds right now.

For the HD600 it's depends how far you are willing to go as most of the replacement cables (Cardas, Clou, Equinox, Kimber & Zu Cable) bar the latest Oehlbach replacement cable (US$55 shipped from Meier-Audio) are quite expensive. My only experience is with the Clou Red cable & Equinox. Personally if you want even more bass impact go for the former whereas the latter for tighter extended bass with sweeter highs.

Nice to hear a new voice. Actually I disagree with N@Z about the Grado RA-1 amplifier. I think it works well with both Senn HD-600 and Grados. The SR-325 however is not my favourite Grado. In fact I prefer the SR-225 or the RS-1 to it. The SR-325 is a bit too bright for me. However, the Grado detail is hard to beat with the current crop of headphones in the same price category. I generally prefer Grado for music like rock and the Senns HD-600 for classical (where the large soundstage and lack of some detial helps you capture the music as an orchestra instead of the musical instrument).

But the speed of the Grado SR-325 is second to none IMO.

Nice review.

Cheers

Maybe it's time for me to have a refresher course in the RA-1. I recall I quite enjoyed the RA-1 clone but then again that was not using Senns nor Grados. Beyer DT931 I think with your Pana PCDP.

Rameish, thanks for the tip. I felt that the RA-1 was more than adequate to amplify my phones. The sound coming out of it seems more neutral than my other limited experiences with other amps. N@Z appreciate your input as well, i will try the "ugly" yellow pads and see how they sound. By the way anyone has any experience with the oehlbach replacement cable?

For the replacement cables of the HD600. Depending on what you want, more weight or more "air", I can receommend the cable for you.

Btw welcome to SGheadphones and I myself own a pair of grados and 2 pairs of senns.

Edited by lengcm

Thanks lengcm, I think I'm pretty set on the oehlbach cables. They are the cheapest around and according to you quite the bamg for the buck too.

Evil-zen, I tried both phones out before and found them to be the same. Even the tec specs are the same. So I gather anywayz. Just to be safe I'll change my thread to MS2s to avoid confusion.

bwtay, I have the cables but have not tried them yet - too many things to do and a bit tired of buring in yet another cable - I am a bit lazy. Am awaiting for a new amp which I will burn in together.

the senn pads and the toddthevinyljunkie pads are NOTHING alike. the senn pads just ... crush the sound.. the depth and detail is gone.. the flat pads are great sounding.. but i think i shall take my big ears back to the bowls at some point (have to buy a new pair.. old pair melted).. the sound just surrounded me so much more.. and my 627 based meta (finally fixed and soon on the way to me) should have plenty of bass with the bowl. plus i like the highs of the bowl better. they are brighter, which i like.. it's like a cold crisp morning.... but the pain that can be caused (if i remember correctly) is the same or less. plus they image better. this is with the ms2's... they have been altered by alessandro to sound good with the bowls... so it may be different than with the 325's. i've read something somewhere about the mspro actually sounding better with the bowls... i forget where i saw that (i've had a bad cold since last monday.. it made me nauseas and forgetfull... and i'm still nauseas)

Edited by MERTON