Sign in to follow this  
av98m

Inside the RA-1 Clone

Welly,

You can't fit an Alps blue let alone an alps black into the original case. Everthing else would fit.

on second thoughts maybe an Alps Blue might fit but you'll have to do some woodwork :-). They existing space will not allow it but with a bit of skilled carving you might. Don't blame me if you cant as I'm only guessing - it's been a while since I opened up an RA-1 (sorry I didn't take measurements).

hey, wonderful amp. nice work firefox...

btw, i think it's interesting, it makes me drooling

suddenly have a thought of going into diy.

where you get all those parts?? online or sim lim square??

the case is nice, where did you get it?? it looks like a pc power supply case.

One thing this version allows for is op amp swapping as well. (but then it wouldn't be a Grado Clone).

Actually, this version doesn't. It was built for best possible sonics so I omitted a socket as that would mean 2 extra metals in each of the connections.

hey, wonderful amp. nice work firefox...

btw, i think it's interesting, it makes me drooling

suddenly have a thought of going into diy.

where you get all those parts?? online or sim lim square??

the case is nice, where did you get it?? it looks like a pc power supply case.

Bought the parts from everywhere. LoL... SLS, SLT, online sellers & various audio shops.

The case is available from SLT if you look hard enough. Nothing quite like a Hammond. The latter will easily cost $20+ more though.

Hello all!

I am wondering: has anyone actually tried to open up a real Grado RA-1 and do the above modifications to it and "seal" the thing closed?

That would mean paying for the cost of an RA-1 over the cost of the parts themselve.

I'd rather spend half the price of the RA-1 to pay some master-craftsman to craft a cocabola wood case for my amp.

Cocobola Wood - yummy!

For pricing guide PM Firefox. It all depends what pot, case, resistors, jacks, silver wiring, rca etc. Labour cost is the same.

Nice mirrored image of the knob on the case.. Though I intentionally sprayed a speckled coat (ala powder coat effect) instead of a mirror flat coat. Wonder how that effect got there... Hrmmm....

Hi Firefox,

I am just wondering if your standalone PSU is ready.....my RA-1 Clone (courtesy of you and Rameish) has been hungry for AC power lately. Hope to feed it with raw power wink.gif

Hi Firefox,

I am just wondering if your standalone PSU is ready.....my RA-1 Clone (courtesy of you and Rameish) has been hungry for AC power lately. Hope to feed it with raw power wink.gif

Ooops.. Hehe.. Wanted to build one last month but failed to get your commitment since you went MIA.. LOL....

Firefox looks like ur busy for 2004 as well - i think there's another corda blue mod on it's way to you. And that's January's work schedule. LOL