Sign in to follow this  
fuwen

HA-2 can drive AKG K1000!

To cut the long story short, I have few sleepness nights and some busy afternoons and finally I come to realise that Corda HA-2 can actually drive the K1000! The volumn setting is almost at 80% using the tape out of my preamp as the input to the HA-2. In fact I have talk to N@Z and Jan Meier regarding this matter. It is definitely good for me as I do not need to get another amp/preamp just to drive the K1000. And for my taste of music I do not really need a RKV to tame down the K1000. Nevertheless I do feel that using K1000 for vocal is not convincing, though I am more than happy to use it with classical music.

To me the HA-2 has enough power to drive the K1000. I tried using my 300W poweramp to drive it directly and the major difference I can hear is the improvement in bass slam. Dr Jan also agree that HA-2 is powerful enough to drive the K1000 when I fed back this to him.

Sonic performance my feeling is more or less the same as what N@Z has posted. Overall K1000 has this 'sharpness' or 'harshness' that after listen to it a few days when I turn back to Senn HD650 it sounds like frequency roll-off throughout the whole frequency spectrum that I thought something wrong with the set I got!

I am now using a DIY 4-pin XLR to TRS cable for the K1000 using Sonicart speaker cable. Slight improvement from the stock cable. I also DIY a 4-pin XLR to spades when I try to test the K1000 with my power amp. The original AKG cable adaptor I have soldered TRS jack.

In fact when I first tested the K1000 in the office it can be driven satisfactory by my portable amp HX-3 and the PCDP, but both components volumn is almost to the max already.

Fuwen,

I happy to know that you are more than happy with your Corda HA-2. Hope you are coming to the meet? Yes/no? I would love to hear the K-1000.

Not to mention the Consonance Cyber 30! But then again, Meet conditions are not very condusive for the K1000 to show it's mettle.

Hey sorry guys, I would very much like to join this coming meet, in fact saliva dripping already just by looking at the looooooong list of juicy stuff. But unfortunately my wife and myself are looking after a 3-year old and a 1.5-year old kid by ourselves and my poor wife is struggling with that 2 'things' during the weekday so weekend I have to help up before she becomes Ãunty' very soon. Or else I can bring them to the meet but I guess those stuff will not sustain their interest for the whole day.

Hope you guys have a nice day and I am very sure it will be the best sghp meet!

BTW if you guys happen to be 'very free' one of the weekends and feel that Woodlands is not that far for you you guys can always pop in my house for a drink and some music, and some K1000.

Cheers!

Rameish, must thank you really for the HA-2. It is kind of troublesome actually to get from Meier, shipment, tele-transfer, etc etc ....... but I would say Dr Jan is really a friendly and nice guy.

Yes he is. I keep telling him to have an online ordering like a yahoo store but....look like it won't happen esp with the Euro this high.

Hmm...when I get my Cayin in I'll bring it over for trials with the AKG K-1000 (I've always wanted to restablish contact with this headphone).

2 kids in the home LOL - no wonder you're into headphones! I have one and that's enough!

Will call ya in late feb or March when my Cayin comes in again.