Welly Wu

Neutrality or Warmth?

What do SGHeadphone members prefer: neutrality / transparancy or warm / "musical" reproduction of sound?

The reason why I ask is due to something I read that intrigued me: the so called audiophiles hailing from western countries tend to prefer strict neutrality / transparancy (i.e., Sennheiser) whereas those from eastern countries prefer a warm / musical reproduction of their music (i.e., Audio Technica). I do not place much stock in this flagrant generalization but it does stick out like a sore thumb in my memory.

Let me start: I like both but I will truthfully admit that I have a hard time trying to afford / prefer a strictly neutral / transparant reproduction of my music. Yet, I am hard pressed to find yet another audiophile (who happens to reside in a major western country) that does not tout it as the end all zen of the true audiophile (whatever that means).

What do you think?

I prefer more musical sounding equipment. Basically anything that can keep me going, tapping my foot and those kind of stuffs. I don't know if musical should be associated with warm. I do like warmth, but not excessive as it tends to gloss some things already.

The thing is, not all neutral sounding equipments are boring(like what many thought). Some are fun in their own way.

I like warmth/musical sound but not at the expense of transparency.

Why not both? Neutrality/transparency + warmth/musical reproduction?

Actually I think the AT cans are more transparent than Sennheisers. Also I think your generalisation stems from the fact that AT cans are more readily available in the East, while Senns are more present in the West - also something to do with Stereophile's recommendation I think.

I like musicality, neutrality & speed in a system.

All three of which I found in the Joseph Grado HP-1's & Kimber Select 1030's as far as equipment go.

The former two are also present in the pair of Aural Symphonic AS-one's.

I don't think Sennheiser produces dynamic headphones that possess neutrality though.

Here I have to agree with CMK and firefox - Senn cans are far from neutral. Usually studio cans like the Beyer DT-150 are more neutral than say Beyer DT-770 or DT-931.

Grado HP-1 is also very neutral and AKG K-501 comes close to neutral but is a little bass shy and dry.

I suggest 2 cans at least to compliment your musical tastes and don't forget the important mood factor.

My 2¢ on the topic. YMMV of course.