ablaze

N@Z, tell me about the AKG 1000s

just wondering what they're like (compared to say..the RS-1s, or other headphones you've got)

general sound impressions (bass, mids, highs)

soundstage

isolation

comfort

and lastly..will they stay on your ears right if you're lying down on a pillow happy.gif

just curious wink.gif

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Last night I went to see X-men 2.

Well, in a nutshell, the AKG K1000 has a totally different character to the RS-1 & HD600 for obvious reasons.

Bass: Contrary to popular belief there is ample bass on them. However it is not visceral. If you are familiar with the Ety's bass it's much like that nice & tight no excess flab.

Mids: Given the limited equipment that I had listened with them, I was not completely convinced with the presentation of the mids which I felt somewhat recessed (?) it is there but I am reminded of it when I listen to the Eggos (probably has something to do with angled drivers? I like my mids on the Etys & HD600/MG Head OTL combo. Strangely the jury is still out for the RS-1.

Highs: Quite bright, infact a little too bright for me. I have wee sensitive ears! But it gives an impression of alot of detail in the music which is impressive.

Soundstage: Yeah you will like this coming from the CD3K ablaze. Out of the head & in front, although not as wide as speaker based system, it just brings it infront of your head giving a sense of openess & airyness which normal headphones cannot compete (although I don't know how good the CD3K is compared to it).

Isolation: Are you kidding? No isolation from outside nor inside at all! People in the same room will know exactly what you are listening to & any noise from outside will interfere with your listening e.g. a noisy aircon, TV etc.

Comfort: No sweaty ears on this one so it is comfortable there. Headband is also acceptable but the soft leatherret pads on the temples feels akward on me & I can't quite get used to them. Coupled with the brightness caused me to have headaches on long listening sessions. This is the 2 major reasons why I decided to get rid of them.

"...will they stay on your ears right if you're lying down on a pillow": Tough one, I've never tried but I assume they will not be very secure the way they are designed. The 'earspeakers' are fairly heavy. Plus I noticed when I lie back on my high backed chair the high back seems to cause sound to bounce off it & cause a minor reflection of sound back into my ears. I assume when lying down this will be made worse due to the closer proximity of the pillows. Any obstruction to the rear of the drivers will affect the sound significantly e.g. when you cover the open end of the HD600.

The best thing I liked about them? The analytical yet musical sound. Maybe if I had the chance to try them on tubed amplification. I might still have changed my mind but as my sale indicated a Mac powerbook G4 beakoned so something had to go.

Hope that was helpful.

thanks N@Z. smile.gif

it all sounds good to me, 'cept the one point: no isolation. got a noisy room. sad2.gif

what were you using to amp it btw?

Initially my 15wpc Naim Nait 2 then I loaned it to my colleague who had a 150wpc SS Macormick pre/power amp. That's what my description was based on.