N@Z

Etymotic ER4S/P

If you are like me, an avid Ety owner but can't stand the cable microphonic sound no matter how still you try to be, this is a very good & simple tip for you to try. It doesn't cost you anything but a few seconds of your time.

Basically you loop the cable over your ears, see attached photo. Just by doing this it reduces the cable microphonics significantly. Plus the added benefit is that you can hear minor nuances & really low bass extension in the music due to the reduced distractions. If you have to move around it will be tolerable than before.

Not something new but I thought I might as well post it for anyone new to Ety goodness happy.gif

loopty.jpg

Nice ........ sideburns !!!

It seems like coiling the cables around the transducer's magnet form sort of an induction loop ... not too sure, have to flip my textbook. It has something to do with EMI (electromagnetic interference) I guess....

I guess you guys already know, but just to chip in... ER is introducing a shorter, (supposedly) less microphonic cable in a couple months time. Should be out by July or August this year. Don Wilson from ER says present ER-4 owners can send in their phones for a cable upgrade for USD$50. Sucks, huh? dry.gif

Anyway, it's about time the ppl at ER addressed this prob. I think they're only doing this 'cause a lot of users are claiming that Shure's E Series earphones have no problems with the cable, and the E5c sounds as good or even better than the ER-4.

N@Z, I suggest that you try using a ferrite clamp on your headphone cables and see if there's any difference. That's the only way I can think of now.

Thanks for the tip Scorchey & Oakey.

I don't think the ferrite clamps would make any difference as the noises produced are purely mechanical (i.e. physically the cables rubbing into contact with clothing etc) but worth a try when if I do find any lying around. I was actually hoping ER would produce a replacement cable that can plug in & out like Fixup's cable.

That looks pretty neat actually & alot more secure. Thanks for the heads up.