Sign in to follow this  
extremecans

Voltage Changes or Transformer Purchase???

Hi, guys.

I don't know whether is it appropriate to post this topic here as I can't seem to fit this in in other section/forum.

Well, I need some advice from the veterans and DIYers around as to whether are you guys able to change the voltage setting in any electrical equipment. Or rather, is it appropriate and safe to do so?

An example would be if I have a US made cooker and I want it to work locally, then I guess there are only two alternatives. I can either, change the voltage setting (if it is applicable), or get a step up transformer.

Now, let's put this into music reproduction appliances. So let's say you guys have a head amp, would you rather change the voltage setting or get a step up transformer?

If it's the former scenerio, how do you do it? If it's the latter instance, where and which transformer to buy? And albeit the mentioned situation, we do also have to take into consideration the question of sound degradation, especially in the second situation.

Last but not least, thxs for bearing with me. Any valuable input is very much appreciated.

Cheers!

laugh.gif

Edited by extremecans

I presume the concerned product has a voltage selector for 110V/220V and your question is whether to stick to 110V and use an outboard step-up transformer in favour of flicking the voltage selector to 220V. In which case, I prefer to flick the switch instead. After all, why make life so difficult since an option is already available. Moreover, an extra link in the audio chain always affect sound to a certain degree and although some actually improves rather than deteriorates, there's still risk involved.

Thxs, Mackie.

Apparently, if that piece of equipment doesn't have any voltage selector switch (let's say it's solely a 110V US product), how would you then, or anybody, get around to this problem...

Cheers!

happy.gif

I have the same question. Would it be wise to use a step-up transformer with an Elpac power supply, or would I be better off getting a power supply locally?

Normally for a transformer product, the trans had voltage selector of 110 and 230. Desolder and resolder will do.

Most product have this is for the conviniece of selling the product to other country with different voltage rating.

Thxs, Mackie.

Apparently, if that piece of equipment doesn't have any voltage selector switch (let's say it's solely a 110V US product), how would you then, or anybody, get around to this problem...

Cheers!

happy.gif

U'll need a step-up tranformer to facilitate use of 110V product with local 240V rating. Do not be perturbed as to its impact on sound quality for some units can be adjusted to feed in an exact (on meter) level but these cost much more than conventional ones.

Edited by Mackie

Most product have this is for the conviniece of selling the product to other country with different voltage rating

Not true for all products. Some electrical goods are made solely for Europe and US and these carry a "Y" and "U" labels in production lines.

If you got friends who diy, opened up the casing and see if it has dual primary winding. If it is, then you in luck, a little re-wiring should do the job. AS Jason mentioned, dual primary windings transformer are getting common on audio products.

Thxs, Mackie.

Cheers!

happy.gif

U'll need a step-up tranformer to facilitate use of 110V product with local 240V rating. Do not be perturbed as to its impact on sound quality for some units can be adjusted to feed in an exact (on meter) level but these cost much more than conventional ones.

Excuse me, but I thought the correct term was step down for using 110-115v eqt here? Wall power @230v step down to 115v correct? No?

Good question cmk........I typed step-down instinctively and then amended to step-up upon reading all the previous postings......confused as well. wacko.gif

Anyway as long as the larger crowd understands what the discussion is all about, so be it.