tropicalrips

SR-80 with HD414 pad mod

tropicalrips - well done party.gif

my experience is kinda funny - i used the same dye and my yellow senn pads turned green!! w00t.gif

i could have used more water or less salt or done something wrong.

lol.gif i put the mixture in a small pail, i think if u can't see the bottom of the pail though the black mixture, it should be thick enough.

did u let it soak for about 20 mins before rinseing off with water?

i guess u can try it again to make it more black, don't think it will turn more green laugh.gif

haha laugh.gif

i rinsed the pads for a slightly over half hour before washing off the excess - u can imagine my surprise rolleyes.gif

but i i will be having another go at it soon

maybe its the concentration of the dye to water?

Tropical said that he used about to cupfuls of water.

Makes it look more like tropicalrip'ssandro' Mod! Removing the badge didn't change the sound even a little bit?

I just noticed something, does the current line of SRs have that 'blister' (just above the word Prestige)? I didn't have that on mine.

laugh.gif i think the 'blister' is there to hold down the metal rod for the driver housing.

i think removing the badge lets the bass extend a little further, but its not a "big" difference, more like a cosmetic mod

i find the SR-80 sounds best when listening to over-driven electric guitar, like those older rock bands, Rainbow Deep Purple & Jimi Hendrix, i'm listening to "Wu Bai" now, its a best of album, with 24 bit recording & gold disc, his over-drive guitar sounds very warm on my SR-80, with slow attack & slow decay, u can almost hear the strings hitting the finger-board of the guitar lol.gif

i find the SR-80 sounds best when listening to over-driven electric guitar, like those older rock bands, Rainbow Deep Purple & Jimi Hendrix, i'm listening to "Wu Bai" now, its a best of album, with 24 bit recording & gold disc, his over-drive guitar sounds very warm on my SR-80, with slow attack & slow decay, u can almost hear the strings hitting the finger-board of the guitar lol.gif

Your description makes me drool.. I like those vintage guitar sound too...

another mod for the SR-80 laugh.gif

user posted image

decided to take the SR-80 modding another step further, removing the "SR80" badge

user posted image

the color of the grills where the badge used to be was a little different from the rest of the grill, i use a black marker to paint over the whole grill

i don't think this actually improves the sound, but at least it improves the look of the headphone grado.gif makes them look more "pro" like lol.gif

next step : replacing the whole grill w00t.gif and maybe change the stock cable as well

An evil thought came to mind.........................what if I were to replace the badges with wooden cones which I have applied on all my cans? laugh.gif Being of open design, the cones could obstruct air flow and thence the sound though.

In regards to Senn yellow pads, I like the sound of SR80 better with the pads applied opposite to conventional way ie. original cut-out over the drivers and DIY cut-out over the enclosure. The thicker pad and increased distance from ear to driver gives better depth and less upfront to my personal perference.

Tropicalrips, can I buy this dye from NTUC or Homefix?

Edited by Mackie

Mackie, your suggestion of reversing the pad installation is also a good way of hiding a badly cut hole as the original open end will look more professional!

mackie, i bought the dye from a tailor in Hougang, just happen to be in the area so i ask them, i think they should be easy to find elsewhere.

i think reversing the pad with a cut hole should be good, it will hav the comfort of the soft pads and also retain more of the original Grado sound (drivers being further away from the ear).

i left my current black 414 pads uncut cause i didn't like the very birght sound with the center hole. i use the sr-80 as portables, so the soft pads made the drivers closer thus giving me more slam & kick, i don't notice a lost of details without the cut-out, but i do notice they are not as bright smile.gif

i think the cut-out works better for the sr-60 according to others who hav tried it, i think Kenshinz has a cut-out pad with his sr-60

anyone notice the sr-80 also leak less with the 414 pads unsure.gif or is it just me laugh.gif

tropicalrips, now U know why I'd gotten 3 pairs of the yellow pads...........one without cut-out, one with cut-out but mounted in reverse and the other with cut-out and dyed to a different colour. I'm a contrarian and finds the yellow pad kinda cool with its contrast over an all black SR80. If U see someone wearing yellow padded SR80 on the West-East bound train, it could be yours truly. lol.gif

Edited by Mackie

laugh.gif if u see someone with the SR-80 & black soft pad on the NEL that would be me grado.gif

Guys, i'm kind of confuse here. As i just bought the SR80, the sponge originally is black in colour right? As the cans are open type, i wonder if seal up the openings will helps to reduce music disturbance to people around me in the train. unsure.gif

Yes, the pad that comes with the SR80 is black in color. What they are doing in this thread is to buy the Senn HD414 pad that are yellow in color and apply the dye to it to make it black. The SR80 are meant to be open cans and they leak sound quite a bit. Therefore not many people use it outdoors as you then have to raise the volume to compensate for the outside noise.

Guys, i'm kind of confuse here. As i just bought the SR80, the sponge originally is black in colour right? As the cans are open type, i wonder if seal up the openings will helps to reduce music disturbance to people around me in the train. unsure.gif

if u seal up the "holes" the sound becomes "hollow" liaoz not nice liaoz.... some mod it with 414 pad because they are much comfortable and the driver is nearer to yr ear which enhanced the bass and the detail level. However some ppl find the HIGH too much..

In addition with the Senn 414 pad mod, U can reverse the pads (original cut holes on top of drivers) to add distance between ears and drivers for a less bright sound.