Sign in to follow this  
tropicalrips

NACA version 3

my first attempt at point to point soldering smile.gif

not a clone as i added a 2200uF cap on the power side to reduce the on/off "pop" sound, it work when i switch off the amp, the music fades away after about 2 secs, but the pop is still there when i turn it on.

user posted image

the case is a Hammond translucent blue, i also hav a smaller version of the same case, planning to use that for an A47 laugh.gif

user posted image

shot of the back , i used RCA jacks as there was enough space in the case

user posted image

the volume pot is the mini blue Alps, knob is from RS.

there no mounting for the parts in the case, everything is kind of "jam" together lol.gif i use 3M tape to hold the 2 Solen caps together, the big power cap just kind of sits nicely between the Solens, the cover of the case also press down on all the components, so everything is quite stable in there

user posted image

shot with the cover on, i wonder if u can get somthing like this though airport security tongue.gif anyone tried it before wink.gif i did not take pics of the point to point soldering as they were not very neat rolleyes.gif maybe my second try will be better lol.gif

user posted image

sound wise, it sounds good with Grado grado.gif not as colored like my variants, very good slam, on the whole a different type of sound, transparent sound from a transparent amp lol.gif

Edited by tropicalrips

still had some time left, so i made a mini stereo to RCA cable for portable use smile.gif

done with cheap parts here

user posted image

seen here with the new amp and PCDP, i think the cable makes it look even more like a bomb lol.gif

user posted image

Are u saying that the sound is very neutral and has a lot of bass energy?

Sounds like a winner to me yes.gif

Are u saying that the sound is very neutral and has a lot of bass energy?

Sounds like a winner to me yes.gif

i don't really know how to explain it, but it still has the bass kick of a cmoy, but the details are better. op-amp is NJM4556

only problem now is the startup "pop" sound, i measure the dc on the output and its only 1.1 to 2.3 mV, so i guess this should still be quite safe for headphones

yet to try it with other headphones, so far only tried it with SR-80 & sporta pro happy.gif

i suppose the increased detail is due to the faster op-amp which u mentioned in another thread.

btw, i really like the diy look of the cables. the hammond case is really beautiful to boot... the alps blue looks perfect on it.

i don`t know if this would work, but you could try putting diodes across the switches to remove the popping, if i`m not wrong, this is possible as long it is DC.

Batt(+)----------*switch*--------(+)

| |

------<|-------

The 'POP' sound also occurs on the Grado RA-1 so it's not really a big problem. Even my META amp makes that sound although to a slightly lesser extent.

its caused by the back emf caused by a inductor and a capacitor charging each other up when the switch is closed. these emf spikes can be quite nasty.

i don`t know if this would work, but you could try putting diodes across the switches to remove the popping, if i`m not wrong, this is possible as long it is DC.

Batt(+)----------*switch*--------(+)

| |

------<|-------

hacknet, i'm not sure what u mean with the diodes...but i'm game to try anything w00t.gif

do u mean adding the diodes on the switch before the power pins of the op-amp?

my NACA is following the ra-1 clone specs/values except the Electrolytic cap across the power rails, this removes the shut-off "pop" but does not help when i turn on the amp.

hi, nice job!!

but for opamp and and discrete base amplifiers, i do not recommend point to point soldering. a well design PCB should serve the job better. this is due to Electromagnetic Interference. a lot of wire mix together will coz stray inductance and capacitance, and may introduce distortion to the signal. unless you use good teflon insulated wire.

however, alot of high end tube amp still using p2p soldering.

update :

i found a way round the annoying turn on "pop" smile.gif i placed a tantalum cap on the ground formed by the 2 batteries before going into the circuit, this reduces the "pop" to a soft "click" sound.

i can't tell if the sound of the amp changed, but i don't think it did happy.gif

Hey Tropicalrips,

Hows the v3 coming along? Have u finished burning it in yet? I wonder how the sound has changed and how long the battery lasts with this version?