scholes25

What should I buy for $1k?

Hi All,

Having been lurking aroound the forums for all while but have never really posted anything significant because I do not really have a dedicated headphone setup.

But now I am seriously looking into getting such a setup and I am hoping for lots of help in the forum.

My budget is about $1000 and I do not mind used equiptment.

My preferences for music are ranked accordingly:

1. Jazz - Vocals, Harry Connick JR., Diana Krall, Cyndi Lauper, Cai Qin etc,

2. Oldies and Retro - Wet Wet Wet, Songs from Grease, Beatles, Elvis Presley etc.

3. Insrutmental Jazz - Saxophone and Guitar especially eg Dave Brubeck, Robert Stanton, etc

4. Classical - Violin especially, Spohie Anne Mutter and others

5. Techno - occasionally some techno from paul van dyk, Fat boy slim etc.

I would think I gravitate towards music with a lot of kick and pace. Songs like 'Greased Lightning', 'It had to be you', 'Baby don't care for me' are some examples.

My sources are a modified Marantz 63SE transport with a modified MSB Link DAC.

I am looking for a headphone amp and a pair headphones to go with my sources.

I would appreciate any advice from all the gurus here.

I do hope I have given enough information for you all to help me, if not do let me know.

Thank You very much for any help you can give.

scholes25

Scholes25,

First off I'm no guru LOL. What I do have is some experience with several amps and headphones.

I assume you have a pair of interconnects but since you didnt mention what they are so I'll leave them out of the equation for now.

The Marantz 63 SE is a somewhat warm blayer but you are using a modded MSB Link DAC (which I am unfamilier with).

So my first word of advice is to stay away from colsed headphones if you can. There are some good examples out there like the DT-150 and CD-3000 but for the same money you generally can get a more comfortable open design because heat build up is less of an issue. 2ndly open cans at the same price range tend to sound subjectively "better" but there are some fine examples of closed cans (see above) that do an admirable job.

When it comes to selected an amp and headphone combo it's all about synergy and in you case an good all round can as you music taste is quite diverse - like mine ;-).

Some combos that work together extremely well IMO are:

Corda HA-1 (MkI) with Beyer DT-931 (via the 120 ohm output jack) or Beyer DT-880 (via the 0 ohm output jack) - Note the new HA-1 (MkII) does not come with a 120 ohm output jack but you can ask Jan Meier to configure it for you or you could just use a 120 ohm adapter - also avail form Jan Meier of Meier Audio). Beyer DT-931 can be got from Jan Meier and you'll get a small discount if you buy a headphone and amp together.

Grado RA-1 with Grado SR-225 (available from Music By Design at Adelphi 2nd level) Try the SR-325.

Grado RA-1 with Senn HD-600

X-Cans V3 with Senn HD-600 or Beyer DT-880

META42 maxed out with OPA637 with Beyer DT-880 or DT-150 (closed)

Grado cans also have a synergy with Corda amp (at 120 ohm output)

The Spark Audio HA-1A (Cayin) - available from Precision Audio ground dloor adelphi is also a goo tbue amp at around S$600 - S$650 and mates well with the Senn HD-600, DT-880.

Hint ;-) you can also contact Mackie for Beyer can prices ;-)

Happy Listening

For dynamics, look for the Grado cans, the SR325 comes to mind. They are low impedence and can be driven directly from the headphone jack, or a simple amp.

For refinement and inner detail, but not very good dynamics, the Stax 2020 system is v good at $980 list from Kingsley.

For a more laid back sound, there's the Beyer DT880 or the Senn HD600 and you can pick an amp to match. There are a couple for sale in the classifieds.

Hi Rameish, cmk,

Thanks for your reply.

To answer Rameish's question about the interconnect, I am using Sonicart digital and interconnect cables, from transport to DAC and DAC to amp. Bought from Farle.

A brief description of my sources would be warm, detailed with a very dark background and it does gravitate towards the laidback side.

It seems both of your recommendations are towards the Grados, while the Beyers and the Senn are not far behind.

Rameish, for most of your recommendations, will my budget of $1000 be able to fit in. I really dun think I would want to go above my budget.

In the classfieds, Duckling is selling a Sennheiser HD650 Headphone & Perreaux Head Amp combo. For those who used this combo before, could you guys advise if the combo is suitable for my music preferences?

Thanks again for all the replies.

Why not just contact Duckling for an audition and see if you like the sound? Dunno about the Perreaux but the Senn HD650 is a very good deal at $600.

By the way, my setup is a DT931 paired with the tube Cayin amp. Definitely less than $1k. Great for Classical and Jazz, good soundstaging and mid-range is sweet and detailed. However, treble can be a bit uncontrolled at times and in some systems can sound harsh. Most common complaint you'll hear about the 931 is weak bass. The bass is accurate and fast, but doesn't have that "impact". More of a quality over quantity issue.

Edited by red_ryder

Sennheiser HD600/HD650 are wonderful for Classical music. The rest I cannot comment. Happy shopping!

The HD650 is excellent for vocals. In addition, music sounds very life like out of a very good amplifier especailly tubes. However the only weakness of the HD650 is that you may find the treble a little recessed with lower end aplification and the stock cable and it does not do rock music very well. For the genre of music, you still need a grado at the end of the day. Last but not least, the HD650 need a good replacement cable ie, Equinox or Zu Mobius to really shine.

The follow amps are ranked in terms of preference with the HD650

Cary 300SEI

Cary SLI80

Corda HA1 (modded)

Micro Zolt

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your replies.

Mackie, why did you delete your post?

It was very useful and I was contemplating whether I would buy that combo of the Cayin and Beyer dt990.

It seems most of you are advisng me to get the Grados.

So I guess the next question would be, if I am buying the SR325 as recommended by Rameish, what would be a good amp to go with it? Is the RA-1 the only choice here?

What are the amps that have a good synergy with the Grados?

Thanks again guys.

scholes, I recommended combos not a particualr headphone. SR-325 is a tad too bring for my personal taste. I prefer the SR-225 and yes the Grado amp does work well with it.

Beyer DT-880, and DT-150 are also very nice. My personal favouriye of the Beyer line is the DT-931 though ( all done with the right amp).

I wish I had the time man CMK. Have to burn-in the DT-431 to give feedback to AMD, then liesten to the Cary, then listen to the stax etc.

CMK my RA-1 is no longer a RA-1 and I'm quite happy with the improvements. Having said that one day I must listen to one of his amps although I was spoilt by firefox with his BB amp that sadly now resides nearer you than me.

Also have to buy some LPs.

Hi tropicalrips,

Can let me know wat is your amp?

Very tempting.

Thanks

its a RA-1 type clone variant improved modded...etc...etc... amp lol.gif

i call it NACA (Not A Clone Amp) because of all the changes that was done to the original design laugh.gif

its still basically a clone design, using 2 9v batts, with the centre of the 2 batts as virtual ground, no rail spliter.

i hav recently changed the op-amp to a AD8620, which is what CMK heard. this chip makes the amp sound "energetic" or as CMK puts it "shiok" biggrin.gif

its still in testing phase, i hav yet to try it with higher Z headphones like HD600 or some of the Beyers & AKG, i use it with my SR80.

tropicalrips,

Your NACA amp sounds very impressive.

If I do get the SR325, any chances of you building the NACA for me?

Again, thanks for all the replies