red_ryder

How to identify a good recording?

Now that I've got a good cdp (NAD 542), listening to my cd collection has been a revelation. Some recordings are excellent, while others are a disappointment, including those so-called 24bit, gold, audiophile cds. Some HDCDs also don't sound any better than regular cds, in fact can sound worse. Biggest culprits for lousy HDCD seems to be compilation CDs (I've got a few of them).

So my question is how do we know when we are buying CDs that we are getting a quality recording? Are there review websites that talk about releases? Are there reputable labels that we can trust, and those that we cannot? Must we avoid all locally pressed cds, and if so, how to identify that a cd is locally pressed?

Generally, Japan pressings are pretty good. YMMV.

You can try to go to shops like That CD shop in Great World City where they'd gladly open up the CDs and play it, for you to listen.

Woo .. i always think this way too ... best recording ... but sometimes ... what if you like the songs very much ... but the recording is bad ... ( well depends >< ) .... but as long you like the songs how bad the cd is being record one well still enjoy it ( IMHO ) wub.gif

well JAp pressing are GOOD ... most of them ( but some are just SOSO ) blues knows ... too !! laugh.gif

i think those CDs shops ( big ones .. ) do allow us to test try the cds .. i guess all we need is to ask the sale person to allow you test ! biggrin.gif bring Olong your cans .. or cos headphone.gif

best of luck !!!

CHEERS @

I think it is very difficult to tell just by the look of the CD whether the recording will be good or not. The best bet is to be able to test it, but of course not always possible, and also the equipment at the shop that allows u to test may not be doing justice to the recordings, and worse still there is this individual preference/taste for music that can make things very complicated.

I guess the easier way is to ask people who you know have the same music preference, go for your favourate label, the artist u like most and so on.

Music format cannot guarantee good recordings, as it is much dependent on the source. So lousy recordings, even on SACD or HDCD or XRCD, you are not going anywhere. Personally I encountered a junk recording on a SACD (Philips, Butterfly lover) and one on XRCD (Chai Xin Juan). These 2 I would highly not recommended!

U are right, I got some chinese compilation, bought them becourse I miss those songs in my student days, but, I guess those people who remaster the recordings just trying to be smart, so despite gold CD, 192Hz, and whatever whatever, those CDs were just not listenable on a good jig. However, on low budget portable equipment they do some justice to the high frequencies. I have stop buying those compilation already, especially the HK, Taiwan one.

So any labels to recommend? I only know of Chesky and Decca that are quite reputable.

hi red ryder

I think you should not jump to the conclusion that those audiophile recordings are bad, just because you have upgraded your CDP to the NAD. I have no doubt that some of them are not as advertised, but most of them are. I have heard the NAD and felt that it was highly detailed, with its balance tilted to the treble. It would therefore be unforgiving of brighter recordings - again, depending on the interconnects and cans used.

I reckon(not knowing your setup completely, especially wrt to power supply and interconnects) that the problem could lie elsewhere.

If you are open to suggestions, I could drop by and have a listen to your setup and maybe suggest an alternative which could make CD playback more...enjoyable(?).

Woo .. i always think this way too ... best recording ... but sometimes ... what if you like the songs very much ... but the recording is bad ... ( well depends >< ) .... but as long you like the songs how bad the cd is being record one well still enjoy it ( IMHO ) wub.gif

well JAp pressing are GOOD ... most of them ( but some are just SOSO ) blues knows ... too !! laugh.gif

i think those CDs shops ( big ones .. ) do allow us to test try the cds .. i guess all we need is to ask the sale person to allow you test ! biggrin.gif bring Olong your cans .. or cos headphone.gif

best of luck !!!

CHEERS @

have to agree with Type3, I got a few Chage & Aska CDs, the recording...really sucks, but I like their songs.

In contrast, I found the NAD sound to be warm and lush. Perhaps I was overly harsh, certainly the audiophile cds were at least equal to normal cds. At worst I heard background hiss or some sibilance in the female vocals.

My biggest complaint is with local and taiwan/HK pressed compilation cds. Claimed to be HDCD, and yet sounded absolutely terrible, like an mp3 encoded at 32k.

If there are two versions of the same CD, one imported and one locally pressed, is it worthwile paying more for the import? Would the quality of the local CD be much worse?

Don't expect too much with compilations. The recordings were all done in different studios and the mastering done in "one size fits all" type. With better source equipment, you would be less forgiving of these pressings. I usually don't compromise, just go for the best.

In relation to your question, generally the CD imports are better(especially US and Jap pressings), although there are some local pressings which are of decent quality.

charismatic: chage aska recordings are average/not bad . They don't suck, at least when you compare them to those backstreet boys and what's not rolleyes.gif

Infact the chage aska - mtv unplugged live has since become my fav cd and also 1 of my all time testing cd due to its atmosphere and nice system should be able to pick up wad chage is muttering in the background(Details/resolution).

Usually local press isn't too bad. I've bought quite a few. Ranging from decent to good sound quality.

Woo ... but remember if you are going to import from japan your wallet sure get burn ... so be careful .. hor ... innocent.gif

and in fact most cds shops provide some pretty decent players for people to test try their cds ... ( cos i kapo and check out most of the stores lol.gif ) but just as i mention bring along your headphone to try out .... cos you know it best ... ( i mean your cans ) headphone.gif

ya i blues i agreed with you the chage aska - mtv unplugged live recording is very up to standard ... it's a good cd ... too bad i don't get to own one ... ( i got a burn copy .. instead ) yawn.gif

red .. maybe you try to change some better interconnect to see if it really .. works out for you ... in term of improving ( maybe a tube rolled is needed ) or you can try out other people setup to see or burrow some better interconnects to try out ... no harm trying but maybe get your wallet burn ... lol.gif

even my player marnatz cd6000 OSE ( a soso player ) is very enjoyable to listen to with the setup i had .. this have to thanks my friends who guide me all the time !!! kicking.gif

Hi! Red Ryder, some reputable Classical Labels to recommend:

Telarc

Deutsche Grammophon

harmonia mundi

Philips

Decca

Pentatone

U may not always get world class recording from them, but most of the time world class performance, and very unlikely u get rubbish from these labels.