Sign in to follow this  
wcy

Pls recommend a good earphone/headphone for joggin

Can anyone recommend a good earphone/headphone for joggin? tinkin of using it with the muvo2 trainer. i wouldn't be joggin where there's traffic, so it's ok if i dun hear a thing from the surroundings..

Edited by wcy

Budget?

If on the cheap - check out the Koss KSC clip on phones.

If you can spare some cash - canalphones can help block out noise. Just be aware that they have microphonics. Apparently the Shure E2c are less microphonic prone. I have the Etymotics ER-4s, which suffers from severe microphonics due to its stiff cord. My friend just got the Etymotics ER-6, they seem to have less microphonic than the ER-4.

I'm not sure of the prices for these phones in S'pore though. The Shure E2c and Etys ER-6 cost around $100 - $120 in the US.

FYI on Microphonics- Just in case you have no idea what I mean by microphonics: because canalphones are inserted deeper into your ear canals (so as to block out external noise), the phones pick up minute vibrations and amplifies it everytime the cord hits or rubs against your shirt/other objects. The noise can get in the way of music enjoyment if the cord keeps hitting something when you move around. The E2c and ER-6 are suppose to have softer cords and are less prone to microphonic problems.

Edited by Ticky

I just got a pair of Shure E2Cs and is awfully impressed with them. You can get them for $175 from the #01-28 shop at Sim Lim Square.

The mx500 cables are too short unless you want to extend them, but otherwise they produce pretty good sound. Not as good as the E2Cs of course smile.gif MX500 is also non-isolated, meaning that outside noises can filter in

My fav is also sennheiser mx500($33)

Good midbass biggrin.gif

Warning Will Robinson...

Do not use canal type phones for jogging bec you will not be able to hear the traffic. Only do so if you're jogging in a GYM or somewhere safe from traffic.

BTW Will Robinson is the character's name from Dr. Who - an old sci-fi show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/

Edited by Rameish

He mentioned that he "wouldn't be joggin where there's traffic, so it's ok if i dun hear a thing from the surroundings..", which actually allows for the use of canalphones. Still, microphonics (esp. when it comes to etys) might be a problem. I would presonally prefer the sennheiser mx500 as well, as I would most probably be too exhausted and distracted during jogging anyway to listen for details or nuances in the music. rolleyes.gif

Oh yes, we all have forgotten, the occlusion effect (or something like that). With canal phones when u walk u will hear your footsteps very loudy. I would not imagine jogging with them on. Thump! THUuump!

Well, perhaps Portapro then.

MX500 won't stay on.

They keep falling out. mAybe i got big ears.

I tried it with the slicsound mould for running. It stayed on, but the slicsound muffed the sound too much.

It made them resonate(?) in the walls.

a cheaper alternative will the Koss Plug.

Yes, music do take the fatigue away.

When I tried out Scriberx's Shure E3c (during one of the meets) with my portable set-up & walked around the room, I didn't experience any microphonics/occlusion with music on. Not sure when you're running though but I did try jumping up & down a bit & didn't hear anything severe. Isolation is very good as I couldn't hear everyone's chatter. The sound is also quite suitable for exercise since the bass is quite pronounced, good for keeping pace/rythm.

The MX-400/500, depending on your ear canal shape as mentioned above, will be a bit of a problem staying in if you jog with it. You could always tape it to your ears like formula 1 drivers!

Another vote for the MX500. Cheap, Light, no microphonics/occlusion, great sound, robust. Whether it stays in your ear depends on the level of rigourous activity and the shape of your ear. laugh.gif

The E2s are also quite good in sound, isolation, plus the wrap-around ear plus chord tightener is quite useful for keeping the phones in place. But the occlusion effect can be annoying. Most tend to use the foamies for better fit, isolation, sound instead of the silicon tips, but if you're using them for running, be prepared to change them really frequently.

If you want to impress girls in the gym, the B&O A8s are it. But not for serious listening. whistling.gif

In-ear buds cannot lar. When you sweat, they will slip out easily. And the microphonics will probably drive you crazy. I hated walking around with them so I can't imagine running around with them. Not only that, when you are not panting, you can already hear the breathing, can't imagine if you are panting.

Clips are probably the most suitable but I am not sure if the plastic over the ear is going to be comfortable or will cause abrasion.