breakneck

oh my god...

i'm not really someone who will get a amp specially 4 a headphone but this baby really caught my eye...tot of juz sharing wif u guys...the price...US$4600... blink.gif

user posted image

user posted image

E.A.R.-Yoshino V20

The V20 is quite a fashionable tube amp, and it sounds equally fantastic! We've used it to power both our big rig and the AKG K1000. No matter how we've used it, it's been an excellent performer.

The V20 uses 26 12AX7 tubes and four 12AU7 tubes. The four 12AU7 and six of the 12AX7 are used on the input, while the rest of the 12AX7—a whopping twenty tubes, ten per channel—are used for the output!

The 24 Watt V20 has 4, 8, and 16 ohm output terminals for optimal speaker load matching. Input voltages can be set at the factory from 100v to 240v. Six inputs allow for a variety of sources to be used, and though a phono stage is not included, the V20 includes a dedicated input for a phono preamp.

Very nice... w00t.gif but how to explain to your girl friend that its sound is worth so much ? Btw, i seem to have problem finding its headphone jack....

another view still shows no jack...V20

Instead, i found EAR's HP4 ...HP4

user posted image

Would it be less expensive ? wink.gif

Ting,

The V-20 can be got from MBD - its not a headphone amp but the AKG K-1000 can't be driven by a regular headamp. Last time I checked it was only about S$7k plus. Let me know if you're interested and I'll confirm price.

Tee,

The HP-4 is a Headphone amp - with 4 different output impedences (I'm not too sure on this but I'll check if anyone wants one). Also available from MBD and i guess from me.

Both are designed by celebrated audio guru Sir Tim de Paravicini.

V20 looks like someone stepped on mickey mouse...

The HP-4 looks more like a proper amp. I'm a conventional kind of guy elvis.gif

Thanks for your updates, Rameish. How much will HP4 cost ?

I am curious how the AKG K1000 can be hooked onto V20.... always want to know how the connection between a headphone and a preamp or integrated amp being made DIY, if there is no headphone jack already provided. How important is the matching of impedance and power output of the two...... wink.gif

Rameish

What is the price of the EAR HP4? There is a website in UK selling it for US$ 2629

AudioReview's website was quoting US$3595, but i am not sure the local price here for HP4. However, i do know that Rameish does own a few masterpieces designed by Sir Tim de Paravacini. Hence, we are hoping that he could help bring in HP4 for the benefits of all the Cans-men here. After auditioning, i am sure some of us may willingly to join the journey to sonic nirvana that Sire Tim is pursuing :

P a r a v a c i n i

wink.gif

The other thing regarding Sir Tim De Pracacini is that he answers your e-mail personally. Once I emailed him regarding the frequency response of the HP4, he replied personally the next day.... He does maintain good customer relations.

lengcm,

have you already owned one of the HP4s ? tell us how it sounds ? or have people at MBD brought it some units already ? wink.gif

tee,

Unfortunately I do not own the HP4. That would be my next purchase if I still do not like my Sudgen Headmaster or sort out its problem.

As you know, Rameish is a very good cans-friend to have, highly approachable and very knowledgeable. You should get in touch with him to help physically check your equipment, whether any bottleneck needs to be relieved to recover the sound that was lost. Besides, his wide collection of cans will give you another perspective on the capability and limitations of your HD600 with respect to matching your Sudgen amp. His good connection with people at MBD may also pave the way for future audition on HP4 wink.gif

Actually I would love to do that. However I am not in Singapore now, I am in UK for my studies and will only be back in July. I am still waiting for the Equinox cable for the HD600. It will only arrive in June. Hopefully its addition would solve some of the problems, otherwise, the Sudgen would have to go. Right now I am still contemplating if I should return the Sudgen and get my full refund, or wait for the Equinox cable. If I were to wait for the Euquinox, the 30day $$ back guarantee would be over and I would have to sell it somewhere else and will definately lose money.

Anyway the Sudgen was purchased on an impulse. The original plan was to purchase the EarMax Pro (EMP) but I had to wait for sometime before the order arrived. So I tried the Sudgen Headmaster instead. Based on the review given by Kary Krakow of MSNBC http://www.msnbc.com/news/898719.asp , the Sudgen had quite a rave review. In addition when I was auditioning it at the shop with a pair of RS2 and a Celine Dion CD, it sounded really neutral and it was much more detail than my previous setup of X-can V2 and the HD600. The bass was more punchy and clear. (maybe I will post a review on the Sudgen after my exams). To sum it up, the Sudgen performed really well on instrumental pieces such as the sound track of Lord of the Rings. As for vocals, it sounded alright but not to my expectations. I expect more "emotions" from it as I listen to Diana Krall, Enya etc. I guess I am prefer the valve to the solid state amp. Well that is my 1 cent worth.