Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Notebook recommendations

We're going to be issued with laptops at the office sometime in the near future. I was asked to look into specifying something so I automatically thought of the (somewhat pricey) Sony Vaio Z1 series (ruled out Macs for specific reasons which I won't get into here). The form factor & functions suits our mobile engineers on site & in office perfectly.

user posted imageuser posted image

Besides that what would you guys recommend? Here's just a couple of specifications (from the top of my head):

• Productivity: use mostly word, excel & powerpoint (require something powerful enough for on the spot presentations) & possibly MSProject as well.
  • Digital imaging: Still photo software, archiving & minor editing. Digital video editing is not a requirement but is a Bonus.
  • Connectivity: Built in modem & ethernet, WiFi & Bluetooth (Infrared not a requirement but is a bonus).
  • Screen: Min. 12" high resolution (min 1024x768) preferably 14" & higher resolution.
  • Battery life: Should be able to run off batteries for at least 4 hours continuously.
  • Other misc: Should be able to detect & operate with overhead projectors seamlessly. It need not be a desktop replacement but powerful enough to work flawlessly with the above mentioned intended use. Doesn't have to be rugged but be able to take the hustle & bustle of office->car->site & back on a regular basis. For obvious reasons, it does not need to excell at gaming & audio. However the latter would be good for me!
Thanks in advance.

I do not really have an advice here, but do note that lower-performaced graphics card tend to have a flicker problem with projectors. That is, after some time (ranging from about 20sec - 3mins or so) the screen will flicker once. quite distracting if you ask me. If that is a problem, keep away from Intel integrated graphics cards.

Albeit pricey, I have always held Sony vaio in high regards. Other possible brands to consider will be Fujitsu, IBM and Toshiba, although I see that fujitsu has slowed down on the smaller sized ones, and IBM is really more suited for studies (due to its mid-sized nature).

My 2cents.

Thanks for your input. So what should I be looking at specifically here for the graphics card?

My other choices are the IBM Thinkpads (I've seen these in action during presentations & they perform very impressively) & Possibly a Dell yawn.gif . Fujitsu is about as expensive as Sony Vaios too.

Since you've ruled out Macs.... the army used to supply those black notebooks with the little garter belt to ensure the book doesnt flip open by itself. Most crashproof notebook I ever worked on. lol.gif

Hmm I would recommend IBM if you can afford, you really get what u pay for, and their support is excellent too. Construction wise, IBM has one of the best I've seen in a laptop. You really feel safe walking around holding it open in 1 hand by the spine. I even tried running up 6 flights of stairs holding it this way before. With my other laptop (Dell) I used in the army, I dun feel safe unless I'm holding it with both hands.

Fujitsu lifebooks... well built to last and slim and sexy lookin. Avoid compaq notebooks like the plague...

I'll give Fujitsu a thumbs up. Using the S6210 and never being happier!

Had a little problem with the HDD, no question asked from Fujitsu and they replaced it on the spot.

They even repaired my friend's 'wet' notebook, w/o charges!

To think that he was the one that spilled on it.

The currently S6130 look like a replacement for 6210.

If graphics capability is a concern, if i'm not wrong, it is better getting one that is not using shared memory.

Fujitsu price isn't as high as Sony's. But then again mine was through Uni discount.Actual $ was like $1k in addition. For this discount, rumoured to have use inferior parts.(rantings)

My 2cents

Thanks for the recommendations so far. If you guys can quote specific models that would be a big help too.

I have this :

http://usa.asus.com/products/notebook/m6se...0n_overview.htm

Except mine is an Epson NT7000PRO :

http://www.epsondirect.co.jp/nt7000pro/images/displayw.jpg

Mine is a 1.4 Ghz 40gb DVD/CDRW with 256mb RAM.

Yes I went for the cheapest because its easy to upgrade the parts later when they become cheaper.

Oh, I also have the 9600 ATI video card with 64mb RAM.

post-4-1083985872.jpg

We're going to be issued with laptops at the office sometime in the near future. I was asked to look into specifying something so I automatically thought of the (somewhat pricey) Sony Vaio Z1 series (ruled out Macs for specific reasons which I won't get into here). The form factor & functions suits our mobile engineers on site & in office perfectly.

user posted imageuser posted image

Besides that what would you guys recommend? Here's just a couple of specifications (from the top of my head):

• Productivity: use mostly word, excel & powerpoint (require something powerful enough for on the spot presentations) & possibly MSProject as well.
  • Digital imaging: Still photo software, archiving & minor editing. Digital video editing is not a requirement but is a Bonus.
  • Connectivity: Built in modem & ethernet, WiFi & Bluetooth (Infrared not a requirement but is a bonus).
  • Screen: Min. 12" high resolution (min 1024x768) preferably 14" & higher resolution.
  • Battery life: Should be able to run off batteries for at least 4 hours continuously.
  • Other misc: Should be able to detect & operate with overhead projectors seamlessly. It need not be a desktop replacement but powerful enough to work flawlessly with the above mentioned intended use. Doesn't have to be rugged but be able to take the hustle & bustle of office->car->site & back on a regular basis. For obvious reasons, it does not need to excell at gaming & audio. However the latter would be good for me!
Thanks in advance.

[*]OS: XP Professional

[*]Productivity: use mostly word, excel & powerpoint (require something powerful enough for on the spot presentations) & possibly MSProject as well.

[*]Digital imaging: Still photo software, archiving & minor editing. Digital video editing is not a requirement but is a Bonus.

[*]Connectivity: Built in modem & ethernet, WiFi & Bluetooth (Infrared not a requirement but is a bonus).

[*]Screen: Min. 12" high resolution (min 1024x768) preferably 14" & higher resolution.

[*]Battery life: Should be able to run off batteries for at least 4 hours continuously.

[*]Other misc: Should be able to detect & operate with overhead projectors seamlessly. It need not be a desktop replacement but powerful enough to work flawlessly with the above mentioned intended use. Doesn't have to be rugged but be able to take the hustle & bustle of office->car->site & back on a regular basis. For obvious reasons, it does not need to excell at gaming & audio. However the latter would be good for me!

Is weight a main concern?

I'm carrying my notebook, external HD and bag to work almost everyday, total weight is about 5kg (bag and HD are heavy).

I was looking at the Z1 before I got mine, it is a very nice looking thing, light too. I would do everything that I needed. I didn't get it because :

- it wasn't widescreen (mine is 15.4 inch)

- graphics card was an ATI 7500 (hopeless for games)

- Sony support is terrible

They are just my opinions only, I like watching movies and playing the occasional games. I also do a bit of 3D work so need the extra real estate. Mine is only a 1.4Ghz, but its already faster than the 1.7 AMD Duron desktop that I've been using for the past 2 years (Pentium M 1.4 is about the same as a Pentium 4 2.2Ghz because of their larger memory buffer).

All Pentium M notebooks support wireless, 802.11b is the minimum. Mine is a little special, it has B and G wireless network configuration, though I have yet to use the G network because its not that common yet here.

If you want a notebook that will last about 4 hours, get a smaller one (like 12 inch or so). Few notebooks really run 4 hours unless you tone down the brightness and CPU utilisation. I got mine to work for the entire 6 hour flight from Tokyo to Taiwan (and I got to watch better movies too). The longest running Pentium M notebook I know is an IBM (8 hours).

IBM is one of the best, especially for business. You can't go wrong with them, they were made for business and support is great in Singapore (I used to work with IBM).

Sony is more of a leisure brand, I think you will get more multimedia features. They have their own software which makes life a little easier for people who are not good with computers.

All notebooks these days will run your average XP, Office and the odd games. As for multimedia, they would be speed demons but they will do the job (I've ripped DVDs on mine no problem).

All should have video out (composite, some may have S video).

Sim Lim square has a lot of new notebooks, I know there are many. I would go with a company with good after service, that is pretty important in case something happens to the notebook (like bad pixels, accident).

My Epson/Asus comes with a 2-3 year international warranty on parts only, not for accidents. If you have more than 7 dead pixels, then I think you can change it for free.

P.S.Notebooks are very cheap here in Japan, I saw that Z1 for about 160,000 yen, which is about $2,424 SGD.

Thanks for your comments Gouki, do note I'm not from SG & whatever I decide will be acquired locally where I am.

Yes weight will be taken into consideration preferably something with a weight of not too much more than 5lbs. Since the notebook will be used for work mostly the 14.1" screen size will be more than adequate. I might consider a better VGC since using it for powerpoint presentation will be a necessity. Graphics work will only entail digital still & possibly some video as well.

So far looking through CNET.com based on the recommendations made here, the IBM ThinkPad T40/41 seems a very good candidate. Unfortunately support might be a problem since there is no official distributor here.

user posted image

BTW, how long have you owned your EPSON/ASUS? The reason I ask is that the notebook will need to be used for a minimum of 3 years.