Sign in to follow this  
red_ryder

Downsides of harddisk-based mp3 players?

What are the downsides of harddisk based mp3 players, especially compared to solid-state memory ones?

First of, I would assume that they are more fragile. If you drop a hard-disk, god knows what would happen to it. Seems like if a solid state memory player is dropped it would be more likely to survive.

Other than that, got anymore drawbacks? Because really for only slightly more, can get a much bigger capacity mp3 player that is hd based compared to a solid-state memory.

I would think HD players would also be prone to physical wear and tear as there are mobing parts.

What's the biggest capacity solid state memory pkayer around?

If im not wrong, HDD based mp3 players are more fragile (as mentioned), use more power (battery last shorter), and are much bigger in size (due to the HDD itself, and also because of the power consumption, a battery of higher capacity must be used. Also owing to the higher power consumption, Li-ion battereries are usually used(smaller size/capacity), and this brings about some problems such as, having to replace the battery when it dies out after a few years, and also not being able to use a standard battery (such as AA/AAA batteries which you can get from anywhere) if you do not have a power source and you are desperately needing to play something ASAP. This also means you cannot bring spare batteries around.

OTOH, HDD players offer better price/performance, and if you have a routine like using it during the day and always rembering to charge every night, battery should not be an issue at all. Moreover, if size doesn't matter, and you do not abuse your stuff (or keep dropping them), HDD players should be a better choice.

Rameish: I think it would be 4GB.

Isn't the 4G a micro drive not CF SS based?

Not too sure, might be...

I do know for sure that iRiver's 1GB is solid state.

Also the NEX MP3 players use a CF card (Not too sure if they accept 4GB but 2GB is a defiinite). Not quite in built, but also solid state. Besides, one can bring a couple of card around if one likes it that way.

well.. as with all electronics stuff, there is a chance that a hdd from a hdd based mp3 player will break down. And with all stuff with moving parts, its not entirely advisable to drop them rite..? I have dropped mine a few times (but thankfully not a high drop) and it still works fine. another bad point of the hdd based mp3 player is that it will have hang occassionally, when that happens, juz poke it with a paper clip rolleyes.gif

taking everything into account, i think hdd based mp3 players are really cool.. how else can you cram a few thousand high quality songs into a relatively small package..?

PS: this is my first post here.. kicking.gif

Actually, the microdrive is not a solid state drive. Flash based storage like CF (Compact Flash) and SD are solid state, but not the microdrive.

According to specifications, the amount of shock a microdrive can take while in operation is exactly the same as the amount of shock that a 2.5" drive (that most HDD-based DAP players are based upon) can take (175G)

Check these links out

Hitachi Microdrive Specifications (PDF)

Toshiba 2.5" HDD specifications

Food for thought if you're thinking of getting a Muvo or microdrive based DAP.

One more problem is that because diskbased players are bigger, the usb plug is usually off the player. As in, you need a cable to connect to the PC. You can't imagine plugging a muvo2 or iPod straight into the usb pod eh? haha. Solid state ones, being smaller, can usually house the usb plug on it as well. Meaning, if you around with it, you can just plugin to any computer and you dun have to worry about not having the cable with you, making it truly a flash disk as well.

Oh, I am also surprised that no one mentioned that diskbased players are slower. When you skip songs, the Muvo2 actually is quite slow cos you have to read the disk. And also, noisy, mechanical noise. But that's a very very minor issue lar.

I can't hear the MUVO 2 mechanical noise, maybe I'm in an noisy environment. MUVO 2 uses microdrive or harddisk so it eat up loads of power.

One thing good about MUVO 2 over conventional flash memory is they have higher output current capability. No problem driving me Grados... tongue.gif

Hi jason, that's true. It has a higher output current, rated at 30mW, most other flash based ones will be rated at about 10 or thereabouts. I like the muvo2. smile.gif

It uses microdrive. and microdrive has traditionally been slow.

largest solid state CF in the market now is 1.5GB

Creative Muvo 2 1.5GB is based on SS CF

largest microdrive currently by Hitachi is 4GB..

Creative Muvo 2 4GB and iPod Mini is based on this...

IBM announce that they are coming out with 10GB microdrive...

iPod is based on 1.8inch harddisk by Toshiba

not ordinary 2.5 inch laptop harddisk...

u can find 1.8inch harddisk on certain Toshiba Protege notebook and also Sony SUPERSLIM 500 series notebook.

what so special about 1.8inch?

largest currently stand at 40 GB..

Toshiba said will come out 60 and 80 soon. when? no idea..

rpm is slower.. and use minimal power consumption than 2.5inch...

*slower also.. not an issue with mp3 player*

which of the above are prone to drop and spoil...

logically.. anything that MOVES.. when u drop.. chances is.. it will spoil

just like when u smoke.. chances is u will kanna cancer..

so.. do solid state very good?

it depends...

how much memory u want?

how much u wanna spend?

to me.. i will get iPod mini.. *actually i already paid deposit*

why?

i dun need 20-40GB

i need small devices..

since it is a microdrive.. rpm very low.. hopefully will last..

interface rocks.. used muvo.. i can't find a damn song in the 1.5GB..

and since it is an iPod mini ... it is SEXY.... PINK

wub.gif