Sign in to follow this  
cllai

Anyone tried the Panasonic RP-HJE50?

Once you get a good seal, the bass is pretty strong (comparable to the ex70). My initial feeling on first listen is that the bass drowned out the singing and the instruments.

Actually, I have the 71s. They do require a really good seal to get the best out of them, but the problem is just that. The seal, it is probably personal but I dun like the seal, which makes you hear your own breathing and footsteps when you walk. Also makes you hear the rubbing of the wire on your shirt transmitted through the wires. Funny but it happens. The above will apply to the Panasonic as well.

Once you get a good seal, the bass is pretty strong (comparable to the ex70). My initial feeling on first listen is that the bass drowned out the singing and the instruments.

Also hor, when you say the bass drowns out singing and instruments, I tend to agree to a certain extend also. I am pretty new to earphones and headphones, so just my personal opinions only. Stuck with one for the past 8 years. laugh.gif

In terms of speakers setup, the speakers that prefer mounted away from walls tend to sing better for vocals and bass not as strong. But the voices and instruments sounds airy and natural. Of course, this is general, there are speakers costing a lot that does everything (exaggerated). smile.gif And those that sits near the wall making use of the wall to bounce the sound and boost the bass, so it's stronger but that muddles out the voices and instruments.

So, if that applies to ear/headphones, the earbuds requiring a seal probably works like that also. The air is sealed in so that the bass (basically vibrations) are sent only one direction, into your head and that doesn't allow the vocals and instruments to breathe, making it less airy and natural. Well, my own theory here lar, not much experience with phones.

Actually, I have the 71s. They do require a really good seal to get the best out of them, but the problem is just that. The seal, it is probably personal but I dun like the seal, which makes you hear your own breathing and footsteps when you walk. Also makes you hear the rubbing of the wire on your shirt transmitted through the wires. Funny but it happens. The above will apply to the Panasonic as well.

The rubbing of cord sound is microphonics. Shure in-ear phones nearly removes that.

hearing your own breathing and footstep is the occlusion effect. This cannot be eliminated. This is an effect of isolation.

The rubbing of cord sound is microphonics. Shure in-ear phones nearly removes that.

hearing your own breathing and footstep is the occlusion effect. This cannot be eliminated. This is an effect of isolation.

Ohhh....that's microphonics. Was shy to ask what that is. smile.gif Thanks! New term learnt today. Shure removes that? Wow...

In any case, I live with those problems because sound is generally better than most other earphones not of the in ear bud type. The kind of things we put up with...sigh...smile.gif

Its just the cable that the shure uses....it doesnt really remove it... i thot i shud clear that up

I said nearly remove, not only because of cable but also because of the way the cable runs over the ears. OK, back on topic guys.

I have also bought the Panny 50 but IMHO, there was no Wow factor. Yes, improved bass but no big deal.

Hope my E2C will not disappoint......

So, who wants to buy my Panny 50? Less than 1 hr old as of 1420hrs. Bought from Jade at S$59.

I have also bought the Panny 50 but IMHO, there was no Wow factor. Yes, improved bass but no big deal.

So, who wants to buy my Panny 50? Less than 1 hr old as of 1420hrs. Bought from Jade at S$59.

laugh.gif I dun mind taking over yr pana for $40..

S$59 earphones. what do you want to expect? if you really want a great seal then it is better to go for something like the e3/er-4 earphones. much better imo

laugh.gif I dun mind taking over yr pana for $40..

u wanna but the panny?? pl pm me yr hp... biggrin.gif

hmm, how will u compare hje50 with the mx500/400? does they have big differences? i'm now using the mx400, i'm not sure of whether i should get the hje50...

Best is that you try it out yourself cause only you yourself knows whether it is worth it? If you cannot get hold of a pair to try, the next best solution is to go SLS 3rd floor Sony V8 store where the last I went, they have a demo pair of Sony MDR EX71.

Hi auron

I have the HJE50, EX-71 and MX-400. I find the HJE50 MUCH better than the EX-71 in all aspects - sound (tighter bass, better midrange) and build quality, and price. The MX-400 sounds clearer at the expense of bass (or perhaps another way to put it is that the bass that the HJE50 puts out is relatively more in relation to the midrange than the MX-400). They sound quite different. The HJE50 provides more bass and a fair amount of isolation, if that's what you're looking for, is more comfortable and does not fall out of my ears like the MX.

One very good place to buy is W Cube at Adelphi #03-14 -- the guy there Raymond is very friendly and gives fantastic service, never pressurises you to buy, and his prices are very reasonable. He will let you try out the HJE50. (And probably the EX71 too.) You can check out their website www.w3cube.com for more info.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

thanks alot frodo, actually i'm thinking of changing earphones because i find the bass of mx400 not very good (sounds abit plastic to me, dunnoe y.. ;\) and feels that it provides too little isolation as i listen to music on the mrt mostly... think that i will go try out the hje50 smile.gif

Hi auron

Hope you'll still keep the MX400 though - it will give you a different sound (which I actually quite like except for the relative lack of bass and isolation and difficulty in keeping properly positioned in my ears -- positioning is so critical for this type of earbuds!) for those quiter environments. Happy listening!