Sign in to follow this  
yongchris

BVSC fans

For those of you Buena Vista Social Club fans, you might be interested in checking out this CD.

The Gypsy Kings - Roots

user posted image

Basically traditional gypsy and flamenco music. 3-4 guitars, a double bass and an amazing vocalist. The guitar work is brilliant and I love the sound of the percussion box thingy (dunno the name of it, but the player sits on a box that has metal links in it, kinda like a snare, and taps the sides). The music is very good, great melodies and rhythms

Recording is very good and as a bonus there is a DVD with the CD package.

The DVD shows the recording of this album.

btw, if you watch the DVD, the entire band uses ATH monitoring headphones for the recording.

I got mine from gramaphone for abt $23.

Chris

Hm...i kinda like them too! Found their CD when i was digging thru my dad's old stuff. The GK cd i have is really old though, released in 1990 under columbia. Its called LUNA DE FUEGO. Amazing stuff.

( incidently, My Cd has a "Gramophone CD shop" Price tag at the back....hehe $26 ...Hmm )

post-11-1084586283.jpg

Edited by wil

Their recent albums have been quite "poppish" sounding very synthesized and james cookish. I've listened to them at the shop and have not liked it.

But this one is a gem, they go back to their early roots, clean recordings with no overdubs and none of that processed music you usually hear when you buy "guitar" or "flamenco" albums. basically, guitars, bass, and hands clapping for percussion

btw, I'm really into the traditional toe tapping, hand clapping gypsy/flamenco/ole music right now, ever since I went for that nacional de ballet espanole, flamenco concert.( it was awesome. Going for another one in June.) So if anyone has recommendations, please tell me.

I've gone to listen to most of those "flamenco" compilations and those so called "flamenco" guitarists, and I've bought NONE of them so far, cos they are all CRAP. processed music with synths. BLARGGG!

A good example of what I'm looking for is from that flamenco dance during the first 10mins of Mission Impossible 2. that was awesome (btw, the guy who choreograhed that scene is in Singapore conducting flamenco clinics, don't ask me how I know wink.gif )

Chris

Hm...i kinda like them too! Found their CD when i was digging thru my dad's old stuff. The GK cd i have is really old though, released in 1990 under columbia...

1990 old?! blush.gif

Another one for my list. So they actually used a double bass instead of that big monster acoustic bass guitar. I assume the 'handclappy' sound thing is still there? It wouldn't by Gypsy Kings without it happy.gif

Looks like we have another winner for being the youngest member here! With good taste in music I might add!

OT: I think 'kid' is still the youngest though.. coz in 1990 he's just 2 years old blink.giftongue.giflol.giflol.gif