Sign in to follow this  
lengcm

DAC

I must say for vocals and classical, I will stick to my current home setup as I've yet to find anything that sounds 20% better than my current ones.

I always tell myself:

If you want to make changes, make sure that it going to be at least 20% better than before, else it gonna be very hard to justify the cost and the change as well.

Perhaps ......

That's why I changed from CMoy to X-Can V2.

That's why I changed from a portable CDP to a Marantz CD17MkIII.

That also why I changed from a K501 to DT880.

My 1 cent worth. (Can't justify for the other cent.)

it's more like sugden doesn't match well with your cans..imo,

I am not too sure.

it's more like sugden doesn't match well with your cans..imo,

I am not too sure.

Hmmm... not too sure about that as I only have my HD600 with me currently, the HD590 is still in Sg. Hopefully when the Equinox cable arrives and after the burn in, it will sound better. Else I will sell the headmaster and try to cough up more dough for either the RKV mkII or the EAR HP4.

I think it may be due to incompatibility of your new Sudgen amp with HD600 which generally sounds slightly more veiled than other cans like Beyer DT880 or Grados. So you need a more punchy headamp to do the job. MF X-Can in this respect may therefore have achieved the objective much better than Sudgen. Well, this is just my 2 cents' worth and you need to hook up new combinations for your system to trial first before forking out more cash.

The second possibility could be that your Sudgen amp has not been properly run-in. Give it 80-100 hours running in to achieve steady state performance and see if it sounds much better.

Lastly, check with Sudgen agent if it has faulty components that caused the degrading.

When worst comes to the worst, you may have to change it. This website has a classifieds section to facilitate that process. Sorrie pal, i know how you feel when the equipment does not perform to its mark or your expectation. But this is life sometimes. I have personally encountered such experience buying gears from secondhand markets. wink.gif

And one more thing, please change the original power cords that come free with your CDP or DAC. Upgrade it with a better cord that could support higher current (eg.15A) and has good connector plug of hospital grade. wink.gif

The Sudgen has been run in for more than 100hrs. However I have just changed my interconnects and that maybe the problem. I'll give it a few more months before I decide on any upgrades or changes.

Please also do A/B comparison on your speaker system to check the system's soundstage and dynamics. Easier to poinpoint and fine tuned the areas of lacking compared with having soundfield inwards. wink.gif

Have U sold your V-cans V2? If so, no chance to revert er? I suspect your Sudgen is revealing a flaw in the cans and I assume U've been using the NAD cdp before the upgrade. Maybe U should try a more lively and punchy pair of cans like Grado and Beyer DT880. I'm almost confident that they would rectify this sonic displeasure. Bring your headamp and cans to Rameish's place and the problem may be pinpointed as he has the Grados and Beyer. Whatever your decision is, don't forget my power sale of the 880 on the sticky track. happy.gif

In addition, maybe U can try the cone tweaks I've mentioned in my review of DT880. Guyferd and Northern Oak are believers now. This tweaking method helps to improve imaging and expecially vocals which sound more involving. I must stress the effect is not subtle...rather obvious.

lengcm,

what interconnect are you using ? to spur up more dynamics, speed and transparency, try kimber PBJ that gives value for money. For higher end model, use Silver Streak. wink.gif

Well that seems to be the case, all the vocals seem so "dead". However, classical music does sounds really good on it especially sound tracks such as The Lord of the Rings. Not too sure now what to do with the Headmaster. Should have stayed with the good old x-cans v2.

Sell it if you don't like it. No point forcing yourself to "grow" into the sound. FWIW, I had a Sugden once and paired it with a Senn HD600 just like you. I love the combination! As you can see there is no accounting for taste. I do agree that the Sugden can be a bit bright. However I like to call it neutral. I paired mine with a tube CD player. Guess what? The tube characteristics shine through and the sound was very nice and tubey. I love it very much. Kinda regret selling the Sugden. Is yours the remote version? Let me know. Might just be itching to get it again.

Try a nice tube source.

Well lengcm, the other way is to connect your CDP's output to a tubed ouput buffer amp using MF X-10D (about S$100 in secondhand mkt here, but not sure about UK mkt but should be cheaper because it's made there). Again, i can't guarantee the sound but this is an add-on measure to smoothen the soundfield of your CDP if that is the bottleneck. wink.gif

pipee

I agree with you, Sudgen is very neutral sounding. However regarding the brightness, I find it just nice. I like the amp to a certain extent, would love it more if the vocal has not sound so dead. Anyway mine comes with a remote control. PM or drop me an e-mail if you are really interested.

pipee

I agree with you, Sudgen is very neutral sounding. However regarding the brightness, I find it just nice. I like the amp to a certain extent, would love it more if the vocal has not sound so dead. Anyway mine comes with a remote control. PM or drop me an e-mail if you are really interested.

Seriously try a tube source before considering selling it. Borrow, beg or steal from somebody. I sold mine for only $800 but I doubt you want to sell yours for that amount or less.

If I still had the Sugden I would consider getting their new matching power amp, the MusicMaster. 16w of pure Class 'A' (well that's what they say in the website anyway). Very chio.

user posted image