Sign in to follow this  
lekguan

Antistatic solution

I picked up a bottle of antistatic spray for carpets "Shock Free" from Home Fix, THE DIY STORE today. It costs $9.90 for a 13oz. bottle.

I quickly burned 2 identical copies of Delta Goodrem's innocent eyes at 4x Track-at-once with session closed and CD finalised, on Melody Black Diamond CD-R.

Putting in a CD cover, I sprayed quite some of the solution on the label side of 1 of the 2 CDs and with a piece of tissue, spread the liquid around and left it to dry. The layer was quite thick. The piece with the solution sprayed on has a "water track" left on the label side which can be seen under sufficient lighting at a certain angle.

I placed them in identical CD trays and mixed them up. Then not knowing which is which, I placed one of the discs into my CDP and played. Then I switched. I noted down the differences. I then identified which CD is the one with the solution. I then mixed both CDs up and repeated the process with another track before identifying the CD again. I could not really tell which was better. Each has its pros and cons due to my taste. However the differences noted on the CD with the antistatic solutin were as follows:

-less harsh

-bass had more "body" to it and is punchier while mantaining its tight nature

-delta's voice sounded warmer. The upper spectrum of her voice seems to be rolled off

On the whole, the CD with antistatic spray sounded more coherent, but Delta's voice was a little dark, warm and slow for me. Thus why I say they were different, but neither was better to me.

Only 1 CD can't really tell much. If I have the time I will burn another CD on another kind of CD-R and try again, or even better, find someone who has a CD that I have and I spray mine with the antistatic solution and try again. If I have the time.

Conclusion: I was skeptical. Whether or not it improves the sound I cannot say for sure, but this has proven to me that it can bring about differences. Better or worse it depends from system to system and on your taste.

Recommendation: Recommended for people with carpeted floor at home and always turn on the aircon.

Reason: At $9.90 for such a big bottle, its really cheap. If you don't like the changes it brings to your music, or can't hear a difference, you can use it on your carpet and you won't get static build-up if you turn on the aircon and drag your feet along the carpet. Its said to last for a few months. It can also be used on garments except silk but has to be re-applied each time after you wash your clothes.

System: Marantz CD6000ose headphones out -> DT931 with 82ohm DIY adapter

Possible contributing factor: Aircon was turned on for quite some time so air is dry, encouraging static build-up.

Disclaimer: YMMV. Please try at your own risk. I have not tried on albums yet. Hopefully the liquid will not damage them.

Edited by lekguan

lekguan: It's not an aural illusion. I've come across a product (can't recall the name) costing a couple of hundreds that spin cd at very high speed to rid it of static. Result? Greater dynamics and smoother flow of music. The former is very prominent.

Another solution one can try is Kiwi Kleen Glass (blue liquid). Some in the vinyl crowd uses it for their LPs but not in its original concentration, U gotta mix it with distilled water. I use the same liquid mixed with water to clean all my "fungei infested" cds. Behold a shiny gleam thereafter.

i use a statmat, which also reduces the static. seems to work for me. tried out at many diff systems all with the same results.

You can also try RainX - for windsheilds on cars. But as always you do this at you own risk ;-) - have to add that incase of long term detrimental effects.

Last time there was something known as the green marker tweak. You buy a permanent GREEN ink marker and you mark the side of the CDs with the ink....

To me, I didn't notice a difference. So, with this antistatic solution, even if I try, I am not sure if I can tell the difference. laugh.gif Maybe at that time, equipment not revealing enough.

hi peekarwe,

Instead of using a green marker, try out Sound Improvement Disc (a green CD overlay) from Soundscape, Adelphi.

Albeit alot more ex than green marker, I did hear significant changes with and without the SID.

Cheers!