Sign in to follow this  
Goondu

Interconnect plugs and speaker spades

I guess screwing is not as good as soldering with silver like WBT. Right?

Not true. Screwing/ crimping can be superior (although not sonically) to soldering if the person who terminates the cables does not solder well.

Pressure from the crimping/ screwing can provide more contact area between the conductors. A good method for terminating is to crimp and solder.

You'd wrap the wire around the contact (if possible) use a pair of pliers to press the conductors together for a good contact.

Thereafter, you'd use solder to form a good mechanical contact. Hence, the conductors already have good electrical contact and the solder if just to hold them together.

If you surf the Echoloft forums, you probably came across my post that Vampire stuff are available at SLT. That is true for their low-mid range of products. Most of these are manufactured for Vampire by factories that also supply these parts to other unknown brands.

Therefore, it's not impossible to find identical products that are labelled under other brands for much lower prices.

As for the choice of either silver or copper, I'd prefer the latter for higher conductivity.

Not true. Silver has higher conductivity.

Sound wise, silver conductor is sometimes mistakenly judged as bright sounding and I beg to differ for I've used Kimber Kable for more than 10 years. Silver sounds more revealing at the top and any brightness encountered may already be inherent in the system but simply left undiscovered.

Yes, that's true. Silver is actually a very neutral sounding material. However, many cheapskates go for cheaper 3N (99.9%) pure silver or silver plated copper which can tend to sound bright. Purer silver like 4N (99.99%) or 5N (99.999%) silver actually has better extension on both ends while not sounding bright.

For the information of those reading the thread, Overmind sells 3N pure silver, not 4N at the prices listed. If you wish to buy 4N pure silver, you might want to go to www.homegrownaudio.com instead as the price could be lower from them considering that the wire is professionally coated with teflon. ie. Almost no air gaps.

I guess screwing is not as good as soldering with silver like WBT. Right?

Not true. Screwing/ crimping can be superior (although not sonically) to soldering if the person who terminates the cables does not solder well.

Pressure from the crimping/ screwing can provide more contact area between the conductors. A good method for terminating is to crimp and solder.

You'd wrap the wire around the contact (if possible) use a pair of pliers to press the conductors together for a good contact.

Thereafter, you'd use solder to form a good mechanical contact. Hence, the conductors already have good electrical contact and the solder if just to hold them together.

If you surf the Echoloft forums, you probably came across my post that Vampire stuff are available at SLT. That is true for their low-mid range of products. Most of these are manufactured for Vampire by factories that also supply these parts to other unknown brands.

Therefore, it's not impossible to find identical products that are labelled under other brands for much lower prices.

Hmm I read from jon risch's website that he thinks that even the best solder will not beat a good crimp, and that soldering a good crimp will degrade it. I guess its debateable then?

Hmm I read from jon risch's website that he thinks that even the best solder will not beat a good crimp, and that soldering a good crimp will degrade it. I guess its debateable then?

You don't solder the crimped portion. You solder the part of the wire near the crimped portion. Hence, most of the electrical signal is conducted through the crimped portion whereas the soldered portion only serves to make the joint mechanically strong.

There is also another method that is far superior to crimping or soldering. However, it's not something a layman can do. Arc-welding the conductors together. This ensures the best mechanical and electrical contact without any other metals involve.

However, you've got to be darn skillful to prevent the entire plug from melting. LOL..

I believe there's some method of cold-welding but it's probably a very expensive and proprietry process.

Arc-welding the conductors together. This ensures the best mechanical and electrical contact without any other metals involve.

I think that arc welding do introduce other metal (the wielding rod) to fusing the conductors together. blush.gif

Edited by Barradio

I think that arc welding do introduce other metal (the wielding rod) to fusing the conductors together. blush.gif

Not too sure about that. But I do recall there is a method of welding using electrical sparks that doesn't require a secondary metal to be welded in. I know most construction uses extra steel rods to be melted in and the excess metal is then grinded down.

a method of welding using electrical sparks

That may be call the Spot welding. tongue.gif

Do you suppose teflon melts at those temperatures?

Do you suppose teflon melts at those temperatures?

I don't think so, if the current of the machine is set up just to fused the two materials together.

As for the choice of either silver or copper, I'd prefer the latter for higher conductivity.

Not true. Silver has higher conductivity.

Hey, U're absolutely right. I got mixed up with a similar comment on echoloft but discussion was on aluminium and copper. Check out the following table:

http://www.amm.com/index2.htm?/ref/conduct.HTM

Not too sure about that. But I do recall there is a method of welding using electrical sparks that doesn't require a secondary metal to be welded in

Wow! This would mean fusing the two metals by introducing a high enough heat to melt and fuse them at an instant. Takes serious amount of skill and speed.

Edited by Mackie

ok I am goung with a copper termination with my copper wire for my interconnect. Does bullet plugs need soldering? Or can I just screw it on?

Still trying to decide on the speaker plugs.

Will report back.

Yes, bullet plugs need soldering. I heard some people say that its harder to work on Bullets as compared to other plugs, though I haven't tried terminating anything with Bullets. Just a point for consideration.

Edited by lekguan

Goondu, I believe U're buying the bullet plugs from Musiclink? If so, I suggest getting them to terminate the cable for U unless the service charge is too exorbitant. Insofar, I heard Bullet plugs are not easy to terminate.