Sign in to follow this  
huangyong

MP3 or NetMD

Hello folks.

I'm thinking buying a portable device for music listening, but not very sure whether to get a NetMD (Sony) or HDD based MP3 player.

Can you guys voice out your opinions, thanks. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Think of it in practical terms. I'd go for HDD based player because you can store more music as opposed to having to bring along many MDs.

Personally I would buy something like an iPod or an ihp-120/140 (depending on your needs for capacity), but keep in mind that hi-md is out in Japan and it is avaliable from bluetin. Remember that hi-md is a 1gb disk rather then the normal mds that are about 300mb. BTW himd can also store data if you need it

ya now HIMD is in Singapore the cheapest cost around $$560+++( if i am not wrong ) ... you can check it out at any sony stores or SLS maybe you can get cheaper from SLS ... but come to this price i feel (IMHO) you should get HDD Storage player in team of cost and space allows as HDD devices store more music lass a need to carry MD disc everywhere you go ! rolleyes.gif

but for sound wise you better try it yourself as i had not heard any HIMD before and i think you can try out the Sony store @ orchard in WISMA ATRIA located @ the top level beside the foodcourt ( b'cos i saw the sale person allow a customers to try out the discman on the display section! ) laugh.gif

CHEERS wub.gif

N_T

The problem with MD is flexibility. They are close system to protect piracy. So personnaly, I won't buy MD. Another thing, the sound quality of 320 kbps MP3 is said to be better than ATRAC.

So, go for iPod if it is within your budget, the reason is, they support lossles compresion which sounds very close to PCDP. Otherwise MP3 player HD base. But the iPod by default has no line out socket for the normal 3.5mm jack. You can get line out only when you buy the docking station mad.gif

About the sound of iPod, to my opinion, my PCDP (which is half the price of iPod) sounds better than iPod. I compare it with lossles compresion. It lacks of dynamic, and bass is not as strong as my PCDP (eq off). But it does sound better compare with 320 kbps MP3.

the 4th gen ipod has superb sound quality...

major improvements imho over the 3rd gens...

it sounds better than my sony pcdp, sharp netmd, nomad jukebox 3 and zen xtra

What I tested are the 3rd gen and the newest gen (20 Gb, thin body, just bought), that belongs to my friends. I borrowed them for listening test, and IMHO, no significant improvement for the sound quality. It's about the same. My Panasonic PCDP SL-CT810, IMHO still sounds better with stronger bass. But don't take it too seriously, the different is just a tad, for my PCDP being sounded more dynamic with better bass. With lossless compression, iPod is still much better than any MP3 players out there.

Tested with RS-1 and ATH-EW9 grado.gif

Thanks a lot for your opinions, guys. looks like ipod is the best choice...

and i found out something... cool.gif no MD fans here...hehe..

Nothing wrong with MD, but personally much more convienient to just carry the one ipod, rather then a heap of md discs. BTW for the NH3D you need the cradle to transfer data IIRC. So IMO pointless to use even as a portable drive, unless you are prepared to lug a heap of disks, cradle, units, cables, ugh! too many things to carry imo