Sign in to follow this  
kornilius

Help a newbie ?

hello every1 biggrin.gif

just got myself a 4th gen iPod and looking to couple it with a pair of rockin headphones party.gif

after much deliberation and hours of surfing, managed to come up with a list of contenders:

budget ard $100

Senn px100 / 200

Koss Porta / Sporta Pro

ATH FC7

Sony Eggo MDR-D22SL

am i missing anything ? first time plonking down cash for a pair of decent headphones after listening to my dads (jm lab speakers + MITerminator3 combo) im hooked... just wondering, will my ipod have enough juice to crank up those headphones ? or would i have to get an amp? which i hope i dont have to..

thanks in advance cool.gif

Just ensure your choice of headphones has an impedance of <100ohms and your iPod should be able to drive it well. I leave it to iPod owners to make more credible recommendations. Don't forget about isolation of ambient noise if it's meant to be used in public. If close designs are required, some models on your short-list will be dropped.

Edited by Mackie

gee, thanks for the prompt reply.. happy.gif

just realised that quite a few on my short-list are open-designed.. guess i'll have to start looking for close designs within my price range.. any recommendations ? i'll be using it when im shuttling to and fro from school on the mrt so i guess isolation of ambient noise will be impt.. sorry if im asking too many questions, just that i just started on my headphone quest and im getting hooked blush.gif

TIA headphone.gif

Bring your iPod and audition Senn PX200 at Hung Bro, Sim Lim Square. This is a close design and comes highly recommended by those who own it for the same purpose as yours. It's within your budget too. If U don't mind used items, consider this http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=2667

Edited by Mackie

uh.. i just realised i left out 1 tiny little detail.. i have a relatively large head..(dont ask me why, something to do with mah genes and im not fat ! blink.gif ) brought it down to just 4 choices: (px200/100 , FC7 , D22SL) .. have a bad feeling the senn's would be a tight fit unsure.gif any big-heads out there care to give any comments ?

Well, I'm not sure if my head's big or not but certainly looks big in the mirror. biggrin.gif I have the PX200 and it feels ok as the metal headband thingy is not so stiff and do bend. After using it, I have to bend it back a little to fit into the box. But it looks pretty solid so I am not worried about it.

I have the DT880 which I prefer but the PX200 is ok, just a little less details but it's almost a third of the price of the DT880.

HTH.

Bring your iPod and audition Senn PX200 at Hung Bro...

Well, when my brother bought PX200, and I listen to it for a few songs, well... I would say I hate it yucky.gif weak bass, muddy mid and treble, really not interesting. But I like the design, I just wish it sounds good.

Sorry, no offend to the PX200 owners, it is really up to personal taste. But my point is, you better try 'burnt in' PX200, the one at Hung Bro is most likely the new one, so you might not like it. I believe the burnt in one sounds better headphone.gif

kornilius - after folding it, it is a little too wide to fit into the box but with a little push to bend the curved part more, it goes in. Small matter, I just want to give you the complete picture, I am happy with it.

bpribadi - the sound is acceptable to Senns people but this phone needs to warm up. Straight out of the box each time, it sounds terrible especially when new. Even when broken in, if not used for more than a day, it needs maybe 10-20 mins to sound better again. I am not advocating the PX200 but it is an acceptable trade-off, the sound versus the portability, to me.

I find the in-ear design better in sound but not usability. Each time someone speaks to me, I need to pull out and then place back with the wait for the foam to expand and fit. I guess it's all a matter of taste.

Just my opinion. biggrin.gif

Sometime I wonder why a lot of people like Senn, so far I never heard a Senn that can bring music to live, they all sound analytical to me with lack of emotion (including HD650). I guess it is because Senn needs time to shine, and so far all Senns I have tried are new Senns, not the one that have been 'burnt in' or 'broken in'. So I guess for Senn, older is better headphone.gif

Heady - You are right about the portability, PX200 is very well designed for portability.

I think my very old Sony MDR-E888 sounds more lively than the PX200, so I still use it for portability. But the one that always stay in my bag is the ATH-EW9, the most musical can for it's price. Again it all boils down to personal taste.

So trust your ears yes.gif Don't rely on mine or someone else opinions wink.gif

Sometime I wonder why a lot of people like Senn, so far I never heard a Senn that can bring music to live, they all sound analytical to me with lack of emotion (including HD650). I guess it is because Senn needs time to shine, and so far all Senns I have tried are new Senns, not the one that have been 'burnt in' or 'broken in'. So I guess for Senn, older is bett

DT880 also falls into the wine category...........needs to age to sound at its best. I used to consider 200-hour mark as sufficient for burning in cans to reach its optimal condition but some like DT880/150 and HD650 requires 500 hours apparently. It's my new barometer now for high impedance cans.

Regarding PX200, fellow forumers have warned in previous discussions that the sound can deteriorate with less than ideal positioning around one's ears.

Edited by Mackie

well right now my choices are based on specs and looks.. i havent actually heard any of them, just wanna get a rough idea on wads good and wads not.. just contracted the audio bug so im still feeling my way around.. wanna get a good shortlist and hopefully find a shop accomodating enough to let me audition em phones.. headphone.gif

spent the last 2 days scouring the net for alternative portable phones for around $100 or US$60 and i kept coming up with these few..

senn px200/100

ath fc7/f55

sony eggo mdr-d22sl

read rave reviews abt those beyers and grados but their slightly bigger and arent as portable IMHO(plz prove me wrong if u feel the need to happy.gif )

kornilius, here's another course worth exploring Etymotic ER-6i and supposedly designed for iPods. The only setback is it costs almost twice your budget of $100.

On sale in our classified section

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=2649

Details/specs

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.asp

Snapshot

user posted image

yeah been reading an awful lot abt these phones.. but i still prefer the conventional headphones headphone.gif

thanks for the advice though, keep em coming happy.gif

*still waiting for the iPod rep to call me when the new stocks come in... the wait is killing me blink.gif